advertisement

Where to buy vinyl

Friend of mine always seems to do well in various charity shops.

Which reminds me of the joke;
'You'll have to be gentle with me; I've got acute Angina'
'That's good, 'cos your tits aren't up to much'

....oh...you mean with records. :)

Parking in Brighton - I was down there for a meeting with clients a few months ago. Their office was just behind the Grand Hotel. I parked in the Churchill Square car park - £25!

Fortunately, they paid :)

And, as I was in meetings all day I didn't have a chance to visit the record shops :(

I noticed the other day that HMV in Oxford has increased it's stocks of new vinyl. They've always had a handful dotted around the store but now they've got a few crates of new vinyl in their basement area (maybe 100 albums of varying genres).
They haven't really put a lot of effort into it. The display really is just a few plastic crates on a table, not proper display shelving, but good to see nonetheless.

Also in Oxford, Blackwells Music Shop has a small section of new vinyl. Mostly classic jazz but a mix of other stuff as well, which looks like left-overs from record store day going by the stickers on the sleeves.

Truck Store on Cowley Road remains as the biggest stockist of vinyl in Oxford (new and secondhand).

Kevin

If within striking distance of Guildford you should try Ben's Records on Tunsgate.

As well as being personable and not your anorak-y cooler-than-thou Hi Fidelity type shop owner Ben prices his records to sell. Have picked up literally 100s of records there over the years for £1 to £5 (maybe £9 for a sticky mint Japanese pressing jazz LP) that record fair dealers would be changing 5x + for.

It is always rammed with either stock, people, or both! and stock turnover is enormous so you can score 50-100 pieces one week and hardly any the next.

Oh and almost new CDs are £2 to £5 :)

I sometimes go into Ben's, and get only 4 - 5 pieces though, as his stock and my taste to not overlap much is it.

Do agree on the cheapness though there.

DS

advertisement

Back