advertisement

Where to buy vinyl

FC united

pfm Member
Hi all,
I have recently bought an rp3 after 30 years of not owning a turntable, and I'm loving it! The question is where are the best places to buy new or used vinyl? Obviously the cheaper the better but in good condition.
I've tried a few charity shops and picked up a couple in good condition but most are scratched with tatty covers.
Thanks laurence

I find I get quite a lot of vinyl from physical Records Shops, in various places, like today in Soho, That London is it.

If you go out and look there are places to find records, where are you at?

DS

Wen I lived in mainland UK ten years ago car boot sales were my best source. I quickly got to sus out what stall was likely to have a good haul of decent music. I went to a couple last summer when I was over and got a few but nothing like I used to.

Another good source is mentioning to friends. I got loads of decent albums, people still have vinyl stashed in the loft. In fact it has reminded me to tap up a friend who I know has lots of decent vinyl that used to be in his living room 15 years ago but was put away!

Birmingham - I did a bit of a tour of city centre shops earlier today and came away with two Dory Previn albums, the new Boards of Canada and (drumroll) the CD reissue of Escalator Over The Hill in a box with a nice gold-foil lid. Swordfish and The Diskery in particular.

Lots of job lots on an internet auction site. Be patient, there's no shortage. But when a lot has stuff you want, be prepared to pay for it.

But as previously mentioned, letting others know you're a vinyl guy is essential. I've often been given very nice little collections of albums just because people want them to go to someone who appreciates them. (It helps being a guy who can fix people's computers).

Record & Music Fairs. A good one coming up in Westminster on Saturday... I'll be there but then where on earth are you...?

Chaps

I have just bought another box of brand new, never been played classical LPs (mostly Deutsche Grammophon) for the princely sum of 3p per LP from a local auction in good old bankrupt Spain.

That is far better than the 22p per LP I paid last year.

At this rate, I expect to be paid to take them away before much longer.

They sound brilliant and crackle free, my major problem is getting them back to the UK. Basically with hand luggage, I can only take back 60 LPs per trip. However in the last 12 months I have taken 300 back home which gives me a lot of listening for bugger all expenditure.

Happy days as they say.

Regards

Mick

Only today on a visit to Tom Tom Audio, James Almay clued me in to a new record shop that has only just opened a couple of weeks ago in St Albans, Hertfordshire: Empire Records. To those that know this historic Roman market town they are situated in Heritage Close (right next door to where Woodstock Records traded for many years). Spent a very enjoyable hour browsing through the vinyl racks, equal parts secondhand (great condition and fair prices) and new, heavyweight 180g reissues with perhaps the best overall selection of titles I've seen in a record shop since the 1990's (and perhaps ever). No, I don't happen to know the owner personally and am not receiving any freebies, it's just that I feel that anyone brave enough to open a record shop in this economy deserves a plug:

www.empirestalbans.com
http://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/business/st_albans_new_record_store_rides_vinyl_revival_wave_1_2196429

A new Records Shop in St. Albans you say is it? It has been a void for a while.

That will go on the list of places to visit there.

DS

Record & Music Fairs. A good one coming up in Westminster on Saturday... I'll be there but then where on earth are you...?

Hi I'm in Bury near Manchester. Bury did have a good independent record store called vibes which sadly closed a few years ago. There is a HMV but it does not sell vinyl.
I will have to go into Manchester where there is Piccadilly records and eastern block records and a big HMV that do vinyl. I will also have a look at the pinkish vinyl, how do you order and how much is postage?
Thanks for all the replies

Hi I'm in Bury near Manchester. Bury did have a good independent record store called vibes which sadly closed a few years ago. There is a HMV but it does not sell vinyl.
I will have to go into Manchester where there is Piccadilly records and eastern block records and a big HMV that do vinyl. I will also have a look at the pinkish vinyl, how do you order and how much is postage?

There are loads of vinyl outlets in Manchester, all in the same area.

I was there on a course a few weeks ago and I went round them all.

There is a street with a tea shop called "Fifty Shades of Earl Grey" and there is a record shop down there for starters. Turn left when you exit that one and then you are in the right direction.

Going to Eastern Bloc shouldn't be a chore...

Try Didsbury for Mr Sifter and Chorlton-cum-Hardy for Kingbee and others

Piccadilli Records is fantastic and I have bought from them mail order. Cheap too.
On line is fine as far as it goes, but record shops are about getting to know the staff and going in on a Saturday morning when it's raining and it smells of vinyl and coffee inside, and getting told what we should be buying instead. It's down to us to keep these places alive and if they go and we have to rely on the web, then they may just feel it isn't worth it and drop it entirely.
It's an enthusiast market and you can't play that game remotely. It's about finding like-minded people and supporting the small shop. I know it's corny, but just watch the film High Fidelity again and remember who we really are.
My favourite shop is an 80 mile round trip, and to buy a single LP it's madness, but I do it because I want to support them. And it's fun, because pressing a button on a keyboard is too easy and I buy stuff I don't need or haven't really thought about. Making it difficult for myself makes buying LP more of an event, like I really mean to do it. It's made me pay attention.
This weekend I'll be making the trip to pick up the new Boards Of Canada, and I know they also have the 180g reissue of Miles Davis' Some Day My Prince Will Come.

Discogs is a very good Internet source. You can select not only which album you want but the issue. Plenty of good 1st Press examples at prices that put eBay to shame IMO.

advertisement

Back