1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to add Oil Garrard 401 Motor??

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Robbie010, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Robbie010

Robbie010 New Member

Hi all,

I have bravely, or stupidly, done a bit of a tear down on my 401 motor to oil the bottom bearing.

I have turned the unit upside down and removed the bottom half of the clam shell around the motor, exposing the bottom bearing and the spindle. However, now I have it open I’m not entirely sure where to add the oil before putting it back together???

Do I add it to the small well around the central spindle?

2. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

You add the oil to the top and bottom Sintered bronze bearing's whist you have it apart the bearings are secured in position by a dished steel retainer
    Put a few drops of Light synthetic machine oil and leave it for a few hours, the sintered bronze bearing will soak the oil up like a sponge.
    I repeated the oiling with 2 soaking periods
    Clean the motor shaft and just put a couple drop of the same light oil just before re assembly.
    The bearings are quite tight in the dished retainer so put the shaft into the bearing and try to get is perfectly square with the shaft
    Assemble the motor with the bolts just hand tight and tap it lightly with a rubber mallet in a few places so that the motor spindle runs free
    Tighten gradually in a sequence and keep spinning the shaft to make sure it doesn't tighten up

Other areas to oil and clean see photo below

[​IMG]garrard idler wheel shot by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

naimplayer likes this.