advertisement

Where the Garrards went

I'm gonna buy me a SME 3009. I won't use it, I'll just put it on the shelf and look at it. Or maybe have it on my desk at work.

Appreciating hand made items is for me part of the Antique thing, certainly true of earlier HiFi

I think we and these japanese are collecting the new antiques which will inevitably include electrical items.

Thats partly why I donated a Apple Plus and Laserwriter II to the National Museum a few years back after seeing around their warehousing - they definitely wanted it.

The Valve amps and older electronics generally are both a craft and scientific especially when the wiring and soldering is done with care - which partly excludes my old radfords which were shocking inside - perhaps thats why there arent any on show in these pics

Rambling on

We start off down this road with hi-fi, cars, motorbikes etc, and we always want the next best thing, so we constantly trade up and upgrade.

Then one day we stop, take a look over our shoulder and get all nostalgic and start to watch Antiques Roadshow.
What's going on? Does this happen to everyone at a specific age?
(It's beginning to bite with me too)
Why does this happen?

Probably because when you get older you realise that nearly all the major problems of audio had been solved some 60 years ago or longer, and that the old gear is often far superior to the derivative middling tat you thought was the bees knees when you were younger. It can be nostalgia, but it can also be good judgement.

New equipment can do the job much better, but it's not the stuff of audiophile dreams...

Not that I've heard them but from a design standpoint I rate the JBL Paragons alongside a Stradivarius (not heard these either except from a recording & we all know how iffy they can be.)

He made a speaker?

I speak of design intent only but would be interested in learning more ie What kind of colouration?

He made a speaker?

I speak of design intent only but would be interested in learning more ie What kind of colouration?

Huge discontinuity between passbands, "tunnel-y" lower mids coupled with "in your face" upper mids, no real LF.

He made a speaker?
Ah. There is a speaker called a Stradivarious, and it's made in Italy.
Fundamental difference between a good instrument and a good speaker is that (ideally) the speaker won't have a "tone". This is because if the speaker does it risks hiding or altering the tone of the strad you're actually trying to listen to.
What yank said about the sound. Discontinuities at the passbands and tunnelly mids are very apparent.
Here in Japan, a repro will cost around $15~$20,000, an original around twice that (depending on condition, degree of originality, and history).

advertisement

Back