advertisement

Where does the time go?

stevec67

pfm Member
A very long time ago I came as close as I ever have and probably ever will to getting married, to a lovely girl named Dawn. It didn't work out, I last saw her in 1991 when I put her on a train at Reading station, waved her goodbye and went off to get pissed. She will be 50 today. I hope she's had a good life. 50. It doesn't seem possible. Happy birthday Dawn, wherever you are.

I listened to Sgt Pepper’ LHCB today and realised that it was released 53 years ago. It reminded me of my dad just before he died and said, Simon, where have all the years gone?
Time’s a funny thing!

A very long time ago I came as close as I ever have and probably ever will to getting married, to a lovely girl named Dawn. It didn't work out, I last saw her in 1991 when I put her on a train at Reading station, waved her goodbye and went off to get pissed. She will be 50 today. I hope she's had a good life. 50. It doesn't seem possible. Happy birthday Dawn, wherever you are.

That’s a lovely little post Steve - some people leaving a lasting impression on your life, especially where and when love is involved

Time is indeed a very peculiar thing - I really don’t like how it seems to get quicker the older you get... I thought this might be down to planning ahead all the time with work, but not so, as I have been furloughed from the beginning of April until the end of September (now redundant) but those months have gone by just as quick

When I was a student in the mid 70s I fell head over heels in love with a girl in the next flat. She ended up going out with, and eventually marrying, my best friend. I never told either how I felt about her - I guess I was shy and didn’t want to lose their friendship, and in an odd way I was happy they found love together. That doesn’t stop me wondering almost 50 years later what could have been. I haven’t seen them since the early 80s.

Apologies for the rather self indulgent confession.

One thing that I have learned in my life is that you don't have to wait for ever for "The One".
So long as you are prepared to give and take, you can be happily married to a variety of spouses. My problem is that I keep outlasting them.

Last edited:
When I was a student in the mid 70s I fell head over heels in love with a girl in the next flat. She ended up going out with, and eventually marrying, my best friend. I never told either how I felt about her - I guess I was shy and didn’t want to lose their friendship, and in an odd way I was happy they found love together. That doesn’t stop me wondering almost 50 years later what could have been. I haven’t seen them since the early 80s.

Apologies for the rather self indulgent confession.
No apology needed, no more self indulgent than mine.

Ah ! Reading station. My girl lived in Reading, so the station was quite a part of things.
My waving off event happened on Leeds station, though, and what a miserable event it was.
Fortunately for me, three years later when I was living in Frankfurt, she wrote to me, came to see me for New Year, and we've been married for over 38 years. Best thing that ever happened.
I'm sorry your waving off didn't work out differently. I remember how miserable I was on those desolate, windswept platforms of Leeds City Station.

That’s a lovely little post Steve - some people leaving a lasting impression on your life, especially where and when love is involved

Time is indeed a very peculiar thing - I really don’t like how it seems to get quicker the older you get... I thought this might be down to planning ahead all the time with work, but not so, as I have been furloughed from the beginning of April until the end of September (now redundant) but those months have gone by just as quick
Reminds me of the Where are we now? Bowie video.

Ah ! Reading station. My girl lived in Reading, so the station was quite a part of things.
My waving off event happened on Leeds station, though, and what a miserable event it was.
Fortunately for me, three years later when I was living in Frankfurt, she wrote to me, came to see me for New Year, and we've been married for over 38 years. Best thing that ever happened.
I'm sorry your waving off didn't work out differently. I remember how miserable I was on those desolate, windswept platforms of Leeds City Station.
Leeds desolate, 40 years ago? I'll say. I'm there now, and it's a wealthy and vibrant city, but I remember visiting the university in the 80s and man, it was grim. Truly a part of the great industrial North, and bits of the university looked like Soviet era Russia.

When I was 22 years old I had a 40-year-old girlfriend. Now I'm 48, my current 42-year-old girlfriend laughs when reminding me she would be the same age as her own mother :eek:. Weird to think that I left her because she was a bit too old and wrinkly and now my current girlfriend is older than she was.

I met my future wife when at Sixth Form many years ago. We managed to sustain the relationship through Uni and the start of our careers and eventually married in our early twenties. We’ve been married and soul mates for 30 years. We have three children we are very proud of and we continue to build our lives together. It’s especially satisfying at times like these when we can support our family and each other.

Time is strange.

I was pondering the nature of time with a friend. At that point there was no future (if you accept that we ‘move through’ time) as it was being ‘created’ second by second.

But that point now exists in the past. So there is/was a future already from that perspective.

I feel it running out these days.

To the OP try Facebook. Apparently, tracking down old flames is a big lockdown trend.

Stephen

One thing that I have learned in my life is that you don't have to wait for ever for "The One".
So long as you are prepared to give and take, you can be happily married to a variety of spouses. My problem is that I keep outlasting them.

Replace the word ‘spouse’ with ‘speakers’ and I feel exactly the same.

Stephen

advertisement

Back