advertisement

Where do you show yours?

tellis

pfm Member
Hi there,

i am looking at uploading pics to a host site and wondering if people have any recommendations?

I want it to be secure mainly and allow family and friends around the world to log in and view.

One friend currently uses Smug Mugg but it being American (different laws)and $40 (it seems to go up every year) per year sort of puts me off.

Hopefully you guys can help

Thanks

Theo

Flickr has a free option, with restrictions like a limit of 200 available photos or videos in your stream. A reasonable US$25 a year will buy you an unlimited stream and other benefits but for casual use the free account is still a serviceable option.

If you exceed the limit of your free account, the oldest pictures remain on the servers but are hidden from your stream. One way to see them again is to pay your sub.

However, pictures posted in group pools remain available even after they disappear from your stream. So if you create your own group (or groups according to subject if you like) and post all your pictures in it you can maintain a visible archive and direct your friends to it instead.

From the Flickr FAQ on groups: "There are two types of public groups: anyone can join and invitation only. Group administrators can choose to show or hide the group photo pool and discussion topics at any time."

One friend currently uses Smug Mugg but it being American (different laws)and $40 (it seems to go up every year) per year sort of puts me off.
My wife chose zenfolio over SmugMug for her photography business. It has worked out well for her, but it is also an American pay site, so perhaps not what you're looking for.

advertisement

Back