advertisement

Where Art Meets Hi Fi or Imagine how Led Zeppelin would sound on this!

Great, 64 speakers of crackles and pops

Wouldn't mind hearing Mobys cover of 'new dawn fades' though.

A few years back I had the pleasure of hearing a much larger wave field synthesis (WFS) system. By superimposing the wave fronts emanating from numerous small speakers it's possible to create a wave front the radius of which is so large that the virtual source appears to be far outside the listening room (auditorium, where I was) -- I mean _far_ outside. You can also create virtual sound sources in the middle of the room, not just projecting toward you from the speakers as you sometimes get with phase effects in stereo, but subjectively completely detached from the speakers. A shattering glass right in front of you that seems entirely disconnected from the speakers at the perimeter of the room.

"Musically", it wasn't too hot, that is when judged using the much maligned flat-earth standards I didn't feel the tingle of a live performance. Presumably, the processing and the multitude of speakers involved get in the way of that sense of immediacy (that you can achieve even, or perhaps easily, with a modest mono system). But for effects WFS is rather impressive.

advertisement

Back