advertisement

When the equipment doesn’t meet expectations…

Neat Mystique- bought into the hype, lasted a month.
Linn Klyde - sometimes the figures don’t lie, rolled off from about 10 k and sounds just like it.
Yamaha NS1000 - best left in the studio
Tannoy Arden Legacy - not a patch on the HPD
Audio Research amps - virtually guaranteed to break with all that heat around circuit boards. Try Absolute Sounds for part prices…

Yamaha NS1000 - best left in the studio

Curious to know what it is you don't like about them?

I wonder if a lot of kit that seems to divide opinion is just a synergy problem. Like the amp not matching speakers, or speakers not working well in that particular room?

I had a pair for a few years, tried many amps-Class A, push pull tube, AB etc, good front ends three houses. Can sound great. If all recordings were perfect. Sadly they are not..

I had a pair for a few years, tried many amps-Class A, push pull tube, AB etc, good front ends three houses. Can sound great. If all recordings were perfect. Sadly they are not..
The NS-1000Ms are getting on with age. It is possible the crossover filters have gone off spec. One of my projects for 2022 is to update the NS-1000M crossover with a Troels Gravesen upgrade using Jantzen components. According to Troels, the NS-1000M's filters do not exactly hit the intended transfer functions. His upgrade fixes that, whilst retaining the original crossover points and topology.

I run my pair with a 30W class-A amp, and for the most part, it sounds really good.

The NS-1000Ms are getting on with age. It is possible the crossover filters have gone off spec. One of my projects for 2022 is to update the NS-1000M crossover with a Troels Gravesen upgrade using Jantzen components. According to Troels, the NS-1000M's filters do not exactly hit the intended transfer functions. His upgrade fixes that, whilst retaining the original crossover points and topology.

I run my pair with a 30W class-A amp, and for the most part, it sounds really good.

Hi

I have a friend in Germany who has owned several pairs as well as a pair of NS2000's. He has had the caps replaced on several pairs - there is minimal difference - the electrolytic caps were still in spec. He also has a pair of rare FX3's which are essentially a ported NS1000 with a bigger cabinet and these are a big improvement, particularly in the reach and texture of the bass. Personally I found the Yams needed a good bit of power and my Avondale was probably the sweet spot. With regard to Troels I did one of his MG15 kits for a pair of Yorks. I used to run my Yams up against the wall otherwise they sounded bass light. I think a good Sub would be the way to go - they drop off pretty fast.

I have a friend in Germany who has owned several pairs as well as a pair of NS2000's. He has had the caps replaced on several pairs - there is minimal difference - the electrolytic caps were still in spec. He also has a pair of rare FX3's which are essentially a ported NS1000 with a bigger cabinet and these are a big improvement, particularly in the reach and texture of the bass. Personally I found the Yams needed a good bit of power and my Avondale was probably the sweet spot. With regard to Troels I did one of his MG15 kits for a pair of Yorks. I used to run my Yams up against the wall otherwise they sounded bass light. I think a good Sub would be the way to go - they drop off pretty fast.
Thanks for your thoughts. The Troels-designed kit changes the values of some of the filter components, so they actually hit their target transfer functions. I would not bother with simply replacing the OEM components with the same values of 'modern' equivalents. The Yamahas are indeed bass light for its size and 12" woofer. I'll see if they respond to more power when I put them back into service after their Troels upgrade.

Hi James,

Paul at RFC measured mine and built me a pair of crossovers for my NS1000s (and took the LPads out of the circuit). They sound sublime. I run them with a Studio III sub and am currently using Bliesma Beryllium tweeters in place of the stock.

Its true what they say about these speakers responding to pretty much anything you put in front of them. I've heard mine sound terrible when my TT was not set up correctly.

I'm a Naim fan but a Flatcap has been a huge deception for me, almost didn’t bring anything more.

And the very expensive but not worth it for me are:

McIntosh solid state amps
Magico large speakers with multiple drivers
Nagra amps (despite I love their look)
PMC labyrinth floor standers with metal dome tweeters, their older versions with soft dome tweeters sounded way better to my ears !

advertisement

Back