advertisement

When the equipment doesn’t meet expectations…

Del monaco

Del Monaco
I’ve had a few things in the past where I’d expected more. A Marantz 63 KI for example. I was gifted the player and was excited to try it. It looked beautiful with its copper chassis but I could only live with it for a few months. I gave it a chance but It was often overly bright and could sound hard. I was a little bewildered at the plaudits it received and was disappointed. I swapped it for a NAD.
What have you listened to that has fallen below your expectations.

Pioneer A400.
Nait 3.
Linn Intek
Audiolab 4000
Linn Kaber (passive)
Cyrus 2

VW Golf mk4. I really, really wanted to like it. The first roundabout persuaded me otherwise.
I heard the A400 as a courtesy amp whilst another was fixed. Couldn’t see what all the fuss was about. The passive Kabers are pretty average as well. Not heard the others but must have been a melancholic experience.

Quite a lot of things with great reviews have left me unconvinced and a few have really disappointed.

Audiolab 8000 in the ‘80s
PMC Fact 12
Quad QMP Monos
Auralic Leo GX

A few have exceeded expectation.

Dac Magic 100
Techy 1200G
AT33PTG/II
Lyngdorf Room Perfect

Quite a lot of things with great reviews have left me unconvinced and a few have really disappointed.

Audiolab 8000 in the ‘80s
PMC Fact 12
Quad QMP Monos
Auralic Leo GX

A few have exceeded expectation.

Dac Magic 100
Techy 1200G
AT33PTG/II
Lyngdorf Room Perfect

The Dacmagic is a fine Dac. Had one for years until I got the Yamaha. Intriguing list.

There are pieces of Hi Fi that I’ve let go where it’s defo a me not them type breakup, I realise I am in a tiny minority that doesn’t get or like them, certainly in one or two cases it’s been a never meet your heroes moment, they are probably the most disappointing ones and not on the list above.

The majority of my system is now made up of kit I love to bits and fond memories of kit I've really enjoyed with a few bits I’d happily revisit.

The Koetsu Rosewood Signature, an AT95 is much better.

The ATC SCM50 , massively overhyped.

Magnepan SMGb , makes quad57 sound dynamic.

Michell Gyrodek, a Rega 2 murders it.

Should 'ave gone to Ear Trumpet Savers! I guess if you've got so used to 'Briks that they sound normal then everything else must sound bizarrely wrong though!:D

Avi lab series integrated,
Audiolab c/p 8000

both absolute stinkers.

on the speaker front , I had a pair of Living Voice Avatars - thought they were broken, didn’t come anywhere close to ousting my H2’s

Funny old game this hifi thang, can’t say I’m onboard with the Rega bossing a Gyro though :)
Me too but we all have a favoured sound I presume. I kind of know what mine is now so it’s easier to dismiss stuff that I trial. It feels less haphazard than it used to when I was younger. And the funny thing is that I’m spending less and less to get the sound that I really want. And I’m going further back in time. Soon I’ll be playing on wax! Retro in the truest sense.

Disagree… the AR18s were pretty good budget speakers to my ears

my under achievers were:
Exposure pre/power
Audiolab 8000 pre and mono blocks (although I liked the 8000S)
The £500 Marantz signature CD player that won What Hifi awards for years
Linn Isobariks

Class A transistor amps, I know they have their fans but give me A/B any day, a spot the music competition to my ears.

advertisement

Back