advertisement

When Nirvana Came to Britain..BBC2

You and I must have lived through two completely different 80s.

That was a bizarre thing about the documentary, it tried to paint the ‘80s as just being Stock Aitkin & Waterman totally ignoring the massive new-wave, indie, two-tone, goth, reggae, hardcore, industrial scenes etc. Scenes I’d expect most Nirvana fans would have far more in common with. I guess it is just Nirvana broke through to the mainstream pop charts and daytime Radio 1 in a way hardly anything good ever did.

Great band. Did make alternative/heavy(-ish) rock cool amongst the kidz and mainstream for a few years, but certainly overrated in terms of influence and originality. Agree that Kurt's looks played a big part in their mega success.

Even in terms of baffling the TOTP audience, Nirvana were tame compared to...

That was a bizarre thing about the documentary, it tried to paint the ‘80s as just being Stock Aitkin & Waterman totally ignoring the massive new-wave, indie, two-tone, goth, reggae, hardcore, industrial scenes etc. Scenes I’d expect most Nirvana fans would have far more in common with. I guess it is just Nirvana broke through to the mainstream pop charts and daytime Radio 1 in a way hardly anything good ever did.

Indeed, not to mention the electro, hiphop, go-go, house, acid, EDM explosion, and countless other lurid post-punk and post-disco experiments. It was an unprecedented decade of experimentation. Just put on Yazoo, Big Daddy Kane, Marshall Jefferson, Humanoid, the Prodigy and the Stone Roses and tell me the 80s wasn't an absolute kaleidoscope of musical energy and divergence. I still love it.

I have this recorded to watch later. (I was one of the sound crew on the Nov/Dec 91 Nevermind tour, so I'm sure it will bring back lots of memories!)

Did you have any direct interaction with the band? How did they seem?

This thread sent me back to the February 1990 live show on the Bleach Bonus Disc. Probably my favourite release by them and an amazing live album. This band could be ****ing awesome.

Really good documentary. Didn't realise they did so much stuff in the UK. Playing in that little pub in Scotland too.

Really good documentary. Didn't realise they did so much stuff in the UK. Playing in that little pub in Scotland too.

Yes I was delighted to see the Edinburgh interview with the Joyriders. I used to play in a band with Dunsy prior to him being in the Joyriders. Great times.

One of my housemates in 88/89 was well into the US Punk scene...Husker Du, Firehose etc...asked me if I wanted to go to the Tud/Nirvana Manchester Poly gig as he wrote for the student newspaper and had a plus one.
Being a Dancer I said "Nah". Oops.
He interviewed them after as well. John Robb did the first UK interview in print but my housemate must have been a close second...he knew John...went for a drink with them at Manto's once (which would have been 90/91ish) ...was quite intimidated by JR!
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ws/never-before-seen-photos-nirvanas-19432484

I had friend who saw them in Pompey on Bleach tour, couldn’t stop talking about it years after ,with each telling the band got better. Another friend working behind bar not impressed said gig far too short but thought drummer was awesome.
Saw chilli peppers month later, same tiny (300) venue, omg top ten gig ever. Never sweated at any other gig like it, whole place was a giant mosh pit. Awesome fun, bruised but happy.

Forgot to say about their performance on Top Of The Pops. What a middle finger up to the mainstream. Amazing to watch.

advertisement

Back