advertisement

When love turns to hate...

musicman56

50 years hifi & vinyl junkie
Do you have, in your collection, albums by artists that you once admired but over the years have come to dislike or even detest? I have two.

U2 - I have 5 U2 albums, mostly from the 80s and one recent one that was downloaded to my account without my consent (Songs of Innocence). I used to like them back in 1981 but these days I can't stand to listen to anything that involves that monumental hypocrite, Bono. You know, the one who tells us to give generously whilst shielding his obscene wealth in various tax havens.

Madonna - I am aghast to note that I have 8 Madge albums from 1983 right up to 2000. The trouble is Madonna has shown that she is not an artist at all but a business manager and like all CEOs she taps genuinely talented people and takes the credit. Nile Rogers, Pat Leonard and many many others are her story, not her.

I cannot sell these albums as they are part of my history, but I cannot see a time when I will ever play them again.

Any others that people feel they've been hoodwinked by?

Any others that people feel they've been hoodwinked by?

I’ve never dug-in with any artist beyond their sell-by date with the exception of Bolan/T. Rex, some of the later albums being pretty dreadful. I keep thinking about pruning that collection down to the key works, but it was part of my childhood so I have a certain nostalgia even for the bad stuff (my first gig was the Futuristic Dragon tour as a 13 year old).

That is really it. Any other acts where I went in one album too deep has long since gone out again, e.g. I have one U2 album, Boy. I bought October when it came out, but didn’t rate it, so moved it on. That is my usual approach. I have one Madonna album, Ray Of Light, but that is more for William Orbit than Madonna!

Madonna is an outstanding example of how ambition can trump talent. Can't sing, can't dance, can't write, can't play - and yet a brilliant artist manager where the artist happens to be herself. That said, I think some of her early hits were great pop music.

"Do you have, in your collection, albums by artists that you once admired but over the years have come to dislike or even detest?"

Dislike, yes, detest, no. I also separate the person from the music, and remember that I am myself somewhat hypocritical in not giving away more of my money.

https://www.independent.ie/entertai...s-hypocrisy-just-a-part-of-life-36305907.html

At least the likes of Bono (and Bill Gates and Soros) are actively campaigning to make the world better, unlike innumerable wealthy people who are actively donating (bribing) to politicians to prevent positive change.

Hendrix, I used to be unsure about his timing but now dislike it. His Band of Gypsies stuff is tolerable though and I would have loved to see a collaboration with Miles.

Donald Fagen, The Nightfly. Simply because I listened to it too much when I first bought it, and now can't stand it. I tried again recently. I lasted two tracks.

I can't listen to my Philip Pickett recordings after the revelations about his sexual abuse activities.

I have two 'Savile's Time Travels' LPs (basically tracks from the late 50s/early 60s, with Savile's face on the cover, but they're so far at the back of the LP stack that I never see them. Some good tracks on them, though.

If your original comment was serious, perhaps it was not, music is full of extremely unpleasant characters, including Miles Davis.

I wouldn’t joke about a paedophile.

Yes, I smash every Harris record that is donated to Headway charity (I sort records for them)

I don’t know of Miles Davis being unpleasant. I did have a look on wikipedia but it didn’t say anything relevant.

I wouldn’t joke about a paedophile.

Yes, I smash every Harris record that is donated to Headway charity (I sort records for them)

I don’t know of Miles Davis being unpleasant. I did have a look on wikipedia but it didn’t say anything relevant.

Did you miss this bit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Davis

In 2013, The A.V. Club published an article titled "Miles Davis beat his wives and made beautiful music,"[249] In the article, writer Sonia Saraiya praises Davis as a musician, but criticizes him as a person, in particular, his abuse of his wives.[249] Others, such as Francis Davis, have criticized his treatment of women, describing it as "contemptible".[231]

Miles Davis was a misogynist/wife-beater.
Nina Simone was something of a cow and tried to shoot one person and did shoot (with an airgun) a neighbour's child who was noisy.
TonyL has listed numerous unpleasant creatures previously.
Dig deep enough and there'd be way fewer records on the shelves.

But the world is full of tokenists and the Lord loves them all. And you just rob a charity of potential income and generate more plastic scrap.

Did you miss this bit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Davis

In 2013, The A.V. Club published an article titled "Miles Davis beat his wives and made beautiful music,"[249] In the article, writer Sonia Saraiya praises Davis as a musician, but criticizes him as a person, in particular, his abuse of his wives.[249] Others, such as Francis Davis, have criticized his treatment of women, describing it as "contemptible".[231]

Yes I did miss that bit.

I have looked but still get stuck with the length of the writing. I have issues trying to read long bits of writing.

Fair enough, Davis was a shit to women.

Fortunately I don’t have much Davis.

And you just rob a charity of potential income and generate more plastic scrap.

And a pleasure it is to smash them. Gives me a good feeling.

As for robbing Headway of income...

:)

What a sad man you are.

edit: The Wife has just reminded me that I smash all Gary Glitter records that I find as well.
With great relish.

Clapton. As a kid I thought he was the best musician ever. Now I think his playing is emotionless and formulaic, and he is also a racist tool, which doesn’t help.

...although I can listen to 461 Ocean Boulevard, just nothing after that.

Clapton. As a kid I thought he was the best musician ever. Now I think his playing is emotionless and formulaic, and he is also a racist tool, which doesn’t help.

...although I can listen to 461 Ocean Boulevard, just nothing after that.

How racist can Clapton be? He played in a band with a ginger lad.

I go off artists, sometimes temporarily others permanently. I used to really love Aimee Mann & then one day I just found her a bit whiny. Started listening again & now like her, most odd.

Not likely to every listen to Oasis again but there was a time when I thought they were great. Tastes change.

It’s great to rediscover a band after a while, recently I really enjoyed listening to World Machine by Level 42 for example.

I try not think too deeply about the person over the artist; John Martyn is someone who the less known about the better. Steve Marriot was a proper shit also.

advertisement

Back