advertisement

When is it time to get quad electrostatics serviced?

mandryka

pfm Member
My ESL 63s are old, as far as I know they have never been serviced. They work without arcing, without sparking, without distortion.

Will they sound better if I get them serviced? Or is servicing only useful if and when they start to show electrical problems?

In my limited experience (my own pair), once the stator glue starts to fail - mine started clicking from one when this happened, upon opening only one panel was exhibiting problems, but glue was going on all. I used wood glue to redo all panels and 2 years later all still ok.

57s are different, in that the EHT units slowly fail - no such issues with the 63s.

Richard

Very valuable advice given the cost of the service. Thank you.

Unless someone tells me differently I'll wait until I hear a problem.

FWIW I used a pair of ESL63s for a couple of decades with no need for servicing by QUAD. I did make one minor change myself. This was to put small amounts of rubber under the bolts that held the mains transformers. To reduce the faint mechanical mains buzz they produced. But there never showed any sign of needing any service or repair. So far as I know if you treat them with due care they should simply work fine indefinitely.

FWIW I used a pair of ESL63s for a couple of decades with no need for servicing by QUAD. I did make one minor change myself. This was to put small amounts of rubber under the bolts that held the mains transformers. To reduce the faint mechanical mains buzz they produced. But there never showed any sign of needing any service or repair. So far as I know if you treat them with due care they should simply work fine indefinitely.

Agreed - until the glue fails on the stators- it is well documented as a common problem, and if you don't catch it early enough will lead to arc damage & the need to replace the panel. There's a full refurb thread of mine here somewhere - one whole side of a bass panel was flapping and causing arcing, which only presented itself as pops. Upon checking, glue was failing on all panels.

It's fairly straight forward to pop them open DIY - and while I removed the faulty panel on mine to repair it, the rest I reglued in place using weights of solder to pull the stator back against the frame where required.

Agree on the glue.
The pair I bought for a song several years ago had failed panels caused by failed glue.

Worth pointing out that moving ESL63s can cause the glue to fail.
The frames twist easily when moved and this puts pressure on the panels which can cause the brittle old glue to fail suddenly. So be careful moving 63s!

Agree on the glue.
The pair I bought for a song several years ago had failed panels caused by failed glue.

Worth pointing out that moving ESL63s can cause the glue to fail.
The frames twist easily when moved and this puts pressure on the panels which can cause the brittle old glue to fail suddenly. So be careful moving 63s!

Mine were thrown in the back of my Subaru Impreza when I first purchased them :) I now have a pair of 63 quad boxes and a whole bunch of spare carpet and hardboard that I used when moving from Ireland to CH.

My refurb thread here;
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=174574&highlight=Esl*63&page=4

My at least 3rd hand 989s were serviced for the first time last year. Must be at least 15 years old. Clicking and buzzing noises aka panel failure. Shortly after moving house without the proper boxes.

As per my linked thread - if you own 63 onward Quad electrostatics, reglue them now - for sure the glue is failing, and doing it before they arc means you do not need to replace the panels :)

I used polyurethane wood glue ( the liquid type with 30 minutes open time), a small quantity onto some plastic and a cocktail stick to apply. Not too much as the glue expands, you do not want to fill the holes in the stators !

Only the vertical sections of the 'egg box' matrix are in contact with the stators.

I think I counted 3000 spots of glue for my 989's so be patient.

IBcxjJw5OpOgZoDt5O_hlCMF-5y0pqHk49Yt9-tLIXEw4pZ_nJNIKj-rvAPzFlOf86FzMW7EUx6yYqWzqX391LhjbIBtmdcHYiG1lhihm5ryG7W6MLG7f4F11MTaD4nf6dOovm4v0dPUM2pP2yVCJvW4z_E6kkFsvi4YqtYmxliF8h65C28fDso84we-MSaRJP-5IsT8wl435D8RSrBfma0QOyGb0WBPPkX8ToOmIDJCMewEsu5YnvT8n7edtU9op56sg47PpDyehAZXpVyNw7Kr8Ql559jaU1iy7Gd53bNxrbxeiHwfgJMQF69szAvCuXP62s22kXEzRxjoygo_r2KLroHpnVEVeN_XXsCQERPIlQ9VPNQsP9c4uP2hfb4NBaaRgWmlukaKiP9WIM9iQ4cVOmc-CDCmsI8B5Ku5FYCmJIlh9FfV6UA0PiQ15EA7ssgagR5NQQGaQehQSW8zFT-LjNFKLYRA8p9YqS5oOghtNo-TiRleysD7yBs_N87_rpJ2RrjGiBH_iCvnYd9AqZDfOQ9pU9Cw84av58fhRD7VtjeBbkNj_gYZ4RJyAV8suCy2anY9853qSRqtIHplLjEwufKUVdY9mepVXiv7SzDW0IJvqIbZ=w851-h638-no

I removed the panels and made a jig to hold them vertically so i could sit and work on a coffee table with some tunes on, for a day or two :eek:

Luckily with the 63's you have 4 less panels to do...

when I bought the 989's they had just been to Quad for a 'full' service, but they only replace failed panels.
Once the adhesive has started to fail they all go.

I tested my panels with a wooden kebab stick to identify which joints had failed - from memory the bass panels needed a few of the inner joints doing as well, the others were only failing at the outside edge.

I should actually open them up again to check all joints are still secure - I also used wood glue.

Lowering the voltage on the 988 and later panels will make them more reliable, but also lowers the effiency

advertisement

Back