advertisement

When is a GB not a GB?

Darth Vader

From the Dark Side
Today I decided to burn the latest Windows 10 Enterprise iso to a DVD. The size is reported as 4.7GB in which ever OS that I use and I used 3! The DVD-R that I've used for years is also stated as 4.7GB.

Soooo I try to burn the iso to a DVD without any luck I try three different DVD drives of various vintages on two computers using Linux, Windows and Mojave and they all report that the DVD is too small. Just to check I have an all-in Windows 10 OS iso that contains (I believe) every version except the Enterprise. At least there was a long list of OS that it contains. This iso does burn to a DVD-R and boots up.

It turns out that the latest Enterprise version downloaded from the M$ website is 4,723,982,336 Bytes. However a DVD-R has a maximum size of 4,700,000,000 Bytes whilst a DVD+R(W) has 4,700,372,992 Bytes (figures from OSTA) so that none of the standard formats can hold this latest release.

Incidentally according to several web calculators 4.7GB should come out as 5046586572.8Bytes!!!

I'll have to try and boot this release from a USB thumb drive but its a pain in VMWare as it doesn't natively support booting from this media although I have foxed it in the past.

Perhaps I have missed something?

Cheers,

DVD

I am using VMware and simply load the iso. Attach it to the dvd drive once you have to upload to one of your stores.

Early today I decided to make a copy of Windows 10 using punch cards. Man, was that a stupid idea!

computer-punch-cards.jpeg

I should have used 5-1/4-inch floppies instead.

Joe

Just attach the ISO in VMWare and boot from that.

It sounds easy doesn't it? VMWare under Windoze no problem but VMWare under Linux (my now default OS) behaves differently. The Apple OS iso boots just fine under Windows with VMWare and creates the VM. Not so in Linux I get a message that tells me that the iso is not an iso and sticks two fingers up. However macOS and OS X I can and have installed from a bootable USB thumb drive but with pain.

With the Windoze iso (I have tried two) the VM won't boot and read the iso under Linux VMWare. Something wrong with the EFI it tells me. I can and have booted Windoze from a burned CD - I installed Windoze 10 Pro Workstation today from an iso that wouldn't boot directly but from a DVD no problems.

I might try running VMWare under that Windoze Pro Workstation I built today and create the Enterprise VM that way but its a work around and sticks in the craw.

However this thread was about the size of a GB as it seems to vary and I thought that I may have missed something as to why the M$ iso was too big to fit a standard 4.7GB DVD.

Cheers,

DV

Early today I decided to make a copy of Windows 10 using punch cards. Man, was that a stupid idea!

Joe
It could have been worse if you had used 8 inch floppies using the IBM 3741 standard. We used to boot a Series 21 multiuser machine from just one of these floppies!
Cheers,

DV

DV,

Sheer luxury! The first computer where I work was an IBM 1620 with a paper tape reader.

Joe

Ha! just booted the Enterprise version in a VM under Windoze 7. No problems. I know the easy option is just to move this to the Linux environment but that is cheating!

Cheers,

DV

Uber Ha! I now know why the iso is soooo big. It contains ALL versions of Win 10 including Enterprise and its N brother.

DV,

Sheer luxury! The first computer where I work was an IBM 1620 with a paper tape reader.

Joe

Luxury!

First programs I wrote I had to wait 48 hours just to get the compilation report!

Mind you, it’s made me the programmer I am today.

An old one.

Ian,

I'm more of a —

10: Print "Joe"
20: Goto 10

— kind of programmer.

Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe ...

Joe

Joe
Joe, you may have some resemblance to Teresa May, but I still fancy you.

Last edited:
I run VMware ESXi direct on my PC, its not running on top of another operating system.

advertisement

Back