advertisement

When is a Celestion Ditton 66 no longer a Celestion Ditton 66?

Nooooo.

They are lacking these...

s-l1600.jpg

RARE PAIR CELESTION T3399 HF2003 HF 2001 HF 2000 DITTON 66 TWEETERS...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-PAI...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

and these...

s-l1600.jpg

Celestion MF500 Midrange Mid Drive units...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestio...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Blimey there's no excuse for that, but at least they've listed them at a reasonable price for the remaining original parts.

It baffles me (no pun intended) why they ditched the MF500 and HF2000 drivers, but I'd also be extremely wary of how the active/passive bass driver combo is going to perform in that size of enclosure. It reminds me of a pair of Ditton 66 'subwoofers' that were listed for sale, the seller had sawn the 66 enclosure in two (just above the active bass driver) and capped it off, reducing its volume by at least 1/3rd and raising its tuning frequency accordingly! :rolleyes:

How good were the Ditton 66? I know of a pair available to me cheaply even if I sell them on rather than keep them.

I already have Rega RS10 and Martin Logan Aerius i but basically they’re mine if I drive and get them. I guess I’ll find out condition first.

How good were the Ditton 66? I know of a pair available to me cheaply even if I sell them on rather than keep them.
I’ve not heard the originals but the series 2 version is lovely, huge scale, space, detail and power.

Well, my mate picked them up locally to him in Swanage and having met up with his sister somewhere in Dorset to exchange Christmas presents, they arrived at mine tonight on her way back through Surrey. I have to say they look like time-warp condition (externally at least) in immaculate shape including the rear panel chipboard and underneath, the sort of thing I expect Tony would love to see with his love of good vintage kit. A sort of deep red finish with only a couple of visible cosmetic blemishes on one of them and superb looking grilles.

Tomorrow I’ll hook them up for a listen and put some photos here. All I can say is that the original receipt shows they are 1977 and have been obsessively looked after and it’s only once I see the drivers and perhaps remove the 12” unit that I’ll know if the crossovers received attention along the way. If that’s sealed rather than just held by the screws I’ll be reluctant to see inside.

A quick report of first impressions, magical in some ways and underwhelming in others and that can be in the same song at the same time. I’ll know more after a few more sessions.

Midrange can be wonderfully transparent and revealing, upper mids into low treble can be a bit hard. No complaint with treble delicacy and detail. Lower registers can be clear and tuneful or subdued even though you can feel the frequencies. Midrange seems louder than either high or low frequencies.

At this early point I’m guessing possible reasons are:
1. They need using to wake up the slower moving heavier drive units if they haven’t been used for some time (I don’t know if they haven’t)
2. more grunt needed to drive them, I’d be surprised as I’m using my Yamaha A-S3000
3. Old caps on the crossover boards, no idea at this stage or what that does to the sound
4. Old drive units, again no idea but paperwork showing original sale in 1977 suggests they are MK2 as an aside
5. They just sound like this

It’s fun finding out though.

If they’ve been sleeping for any period of time do give them a couple of weeks gentle use before really forming an opinion. Old drivers become freer, ancient caps start to reform etc. No magic, its just how old electronics behave.

Thanks Tony, yes that’s what I wondered so they’re staying on several hours a day with classical festive radio in the background when I’m not trying known vinyl and FLAC files from time to time. I should probably add that what sounds loud from the listening seat is measuring 70db average on the phone app and much less for background radio.

They need a gentle wake-up and then an 'Italian tuneup' with Slipknot at ear-bleeding volume for an hour or two.

They should sound fabulous after this. Assuming they still work, of course... ;)

I was thinking about putting Morrisey through them. If they're still working after that I'll know they're fine, alas if I did they would probably be a pile of firewood very quickly before they got a chance to die naturally!

Anyone know of a pair of 66s for sale? I've an itch to try some but the few on the 'Bay seem cosmetically knackered and overpriced...

I love my Ditton 66's, and the MF500 is the shining star in the speaker for me.
Anyone know of a pair of 66s for sale? I've an itch to try some but the few on the 'Bay seem cosmetically knackered and overpriced...
You could keep an eye out for Beovox 5700 - similar configuration to the 66 but in a shorter fatter cabinet that employs the MF500 & HF2000. Supposedly not as good as the 66 but not a million miles off, and can be had for a good deal less. I paid £250 for a really smart pair ~5 years ago.
There's a pair on ebay right now, though no pics of the drivers:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23537420...pid=5338728743&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You could keep an eye out for Beovox 5700 - similar configuration to the 66 but in a shorter fatter cabinet that employs the MF500 & HF2000. Supposedly not as good as the 66 but not a million miles off, and can be had for a good deal less. I paid £250 for a really smart pair ~5 years ago.
There's a pair on ebay right now, though no pics of the drivers:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23537420...pid=5338728743&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1
5700's are nice but will give your biceps a good working over if you collect.

I’ve now paid my mate to keep the Ditton 66, cost me £400. They just work well in this room and the family and visitors have commented positively on them too to my surprise

advertisement

Back