advertisement

When equipment exceeds your expectations…

The straight Iota.

I wouldn’t have moved away from those little beauties but the hifi came out of the lounge and into a much bigger space we converted that doubles for a teenager’s gamesroom and hifi room.

Even then I wouldn’t have sold them on but a mate who I have been friends with since school and is also into hifi begged me for them!

Before buying the D20R I auditioned the Iota Alpha. Very similar to the original in many ways and could work for some, but in the larger room the ported bass tended to sound like one note when driven hard. I do like my music loud from time to time so this was important for me and moved up in size to the ProAc’s. A smaller room and I’m sure I would be been delighted with them … or for others that don’t crank it quite so hard.

There is also something astonishing about the original small Iota’s. First time I heard them I didn’t believe there wasn’t a sub hidden away somewhere . FWIW, I think they pull off two tricks. Amazing bass for such a small speaker. It’s not that they go incredibly deep, it’s more that they give the illusion of that presence and offer a great musical performance. (I think some others may do this too). The second trick IMO is that ribbon tweeter. It’s a thing of musical beauty

If you do have a listen, please do let us know how you get on.

Thanks very much. I’ve got an itch that needs scratching, I’ve got all sorts on my mind which way to go. I’ve currently got some Spendor S3/5R2’s, which, while a very ‘nice’ sound, can be bettered no doubt. Current thoughts are an omni type speaker (that’s why your post caught my eye, I thought they only did the Iota Alpha’s), or panel (Magnepan LRS), or an active, haha, writing this, you can see where my mind is, all over the place). (BTW, I have a nice BK sub, to help where needed)

Certainly will be an interesting exercise.

Thanks again for your comments on the Neat’s.

Thanks very much. I’ve got an itch that needs scratching, I’ve got all sorts on my mind which way to go. I’ve currently got some Spendor S3/5R2’s, which, while a very ‘nice’ sound, can be bettered no doubt. Current thoughts are an omni type speaker (that’s why your post caught my eye, I thought they only did the Iota Alpha’s), or panel (Magnepan LRS), or an active, haha, writing this, you can see where my mind is, all over the place). (BTW, I have a nice BK sub, to help where needed)

Certainly will be an interesting exercise.

Thanks again for your comments on the Neat’s.

I fancy the Explorers both for the size and close to wall operation. Currently running Momentum 4i, which aren't worth a great deal anymore on the used market and the price differential is too great for me.

advertisement

Back