advertisement

When equipment exceeds your expectations…

BMC UltraDac.
Graaf GM50.
Bang & Olufsen Beolab 9s active speakers.
Leak Troughline tuner with Tim de Paravicini stereo decoder.

Leak Troughline tuner with Tim de Paravicini stereo decoder.

Think the one I borrowed from my friend for a couple of months must have been off, then. It was while I had my NAT 01. A very pleasant 'wrap-around' presentation but lacking in dynamics.

EAR 519 monos. I had a loan of a pair these for a few months about 5years or so ago. Just amazing. I love my current power amp but these were another level entirely.

Heybrook HB1s that I bought for a fiver. I replaced the main drive units and was amazed with the results. They led me away from floorstanders after a dalliance with TDL RTL2s. Been a stand speaker man ever since.

I still have the speakers. I can't seem me ever selling them as the guy I bought them from painted them with a "wood effect" paint. So they look "interesting". I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to buy them from me.

Tannoy eaton legacy speakers ....just superb . Just got them with f5 monoblocks with 25 watts class a and they just get better . Best standmounts ever had

Mike Reed said
Think the one I borrowed from my friend for a couple of months must have been off, then. It was while I had my NAT 01. A very pleasant 'wrap-around' presentation but lacking in dynamics.

I believe Tim de Paravacini designed his stereo decoder for a HiFi World project and most were built from kits, so build quality probably varied considerably. I had two for a while and one sounded far better than the other. Perhaps you were unlucky with yours.

Great thread, Del!

--Dynavector 20x2L: blew the doors off of every other cartridge I've had and I think I may prefer it to the XX-2 mk. 2
--Topping D10: I needed a cheap DAC while my Hugo 2 was off for repair; at $90, I thought it was just as good as the Chord
--Arkless Turbo phono: exceeded my expectations, and I expected it to be good! Much better than the MM stage in my Dynavector P75 mk. 4

Magneplaner 1.7 i

I brought them after always being blown away by Maggies at shows in the past and wanted to upgrade my old Focal floorstanders.
I brought them without audition but talked threw my room size and amp with Paul at The Hi Fi Lounge and he personally delivered them to Brighton.Great dealer BTW.
Had to wait about 6 weeks as the Mags where in their European warehouse in Sweden.So was unsure how they would sound.
They so exceeded expectations and still put a daily smile on my face.Just brilliant and can't see myself changing.

Also an A@R Cambridge T21 FM tuner that I brought years ago for £15 in the local paper.Thought it would be good but it was magic.On par with a Naim NAT 101.
Probably my most used source component as Radio 3 gets listened to a lot.

Cambridge Audio CXN v2 streamer bought August 2020, first foray into streaming as previously I relied on all my cds ripped to iMac hd and played through Cambridge Audio DacMagic+/active krk Rokit 5 monitors/krk 10s sub.

The CXN v2 along with roon/tidal/apple music is a brilliant bit of kit that is so easy to use and integrate into my music listening habits which due to spms means 80% of of my waking hours these days, the ease of adding tunes to a queue in roon along with the 70 million or so lossless tunes available means I am listening to more music than ever all controlled from my iPad or phone, possibly the only perceivable downside is the fact that since the purchase of the CXN v2 and rediscovering my love for music (from 94 to 2015 our collective put on electronic music festivals and clubs) I’ve spent an additional £5k+ on GIK room treatment and Dynaudio LYD 48’s/Dynaudio 18s sub.

Personally I see only upsides:D

Musical Fidelity P170.
Got it for £100.00 ($ 200.00 CDN), did a full recap along with replacing a few resistors with higher wattage as they overheated.
I’m a Naim fan (owing a NAP110, 160BD, 250.2) but this power amplifier beats them all.
Same PRaT, lot of power on bass notes, a very natural midrange and a treble that is very sweet without any harshness.
Very similar to my Exposure 4 dual mono unregulated but more natural and softer but as detailed treble.
If you see one, just grab it !

A few over the years but to keep it recent:

Rega Exact.

Never liked the cheaper Rega MM carts much, in fact I would say I actively dislike them, and the Exact looks like a toy compared to other carts in its price range. Seem to be mainly sold bundled with Rega turntables and rarely seen on any other brand of deck but...

I tried a lot of cartridges on the RP10, both MM and MC, with some being twice the price of the Exact. While not the best in all areas it was the Exact I kept coming back to. Not tried as many carts on the LP12/RB3000 but the Exact sounds so good I'm struggling to find reasons to. Being critical I can say that the bass isn't as tight as better MC, top end isn't as sweet. Soundstage isn't as wide and you're not getting the same level of fine detail but after putting the Exact back on you realize you don't give a shit about any of that!

The Exact does what a stereo system is supposed to do. It brings the heart of the artists into your home. Music is propulsive, engaging and tonally full and rich. Artists have real body and weight and exists in real space with air and harmonics around them. Notes sing out and hang in the air. It's one of the most musically satisfying components I've ever heard.

I think that it's probably so tonally rich because it has been designed to match Rega turntables, which tend to be, if anything, slightly lean sounding. So when put on a fuller deck like the LP12 its strengths are amplified. It's also considered a budget cartridge so most people with top-tier turntable wouldn't even think about trying it. Especially if you have a Linn, as you'll probably stick to more established partners like Audio Technica for MM carts. This is a shame as when given a good arm to egg him on this little yellow guy runs out of his skin. It terms of sheer musical enjoyment this cartridge is an absolute bargain.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it can be improved on, I'm thinking about that now, but I'm resigned to spending a lot more money and I don't want to lose the soul the Exact brings. Which I fear may be difficult.

Magna Mano Ultra2 streamer, it ticked all my technical requirements but I still took a calculated gamble in buying it because it's a new product with very little user feedback and I was using I2S connectivity to connect it to my Pontus 2.

Honestly it's wonderful and the support from the two guys that run Magna is the very best I have encountered in any walk of life.

https://magnahifi.com/mano-ultra-music-streamer-high-res/

An honourable mention also goes to my Longdog mcJ3 phono stage, great product, fabulous sound, it's easy to set up and use and Nick is one of life's better people. Happy to recommend this without reservation

A few over the years but to keep it recent:

Rega Exact.

Never liked the cheaper Rega MM carts much, in fact I would say I actively dislike them, and the Exact looks like a toy compared to other carts in its price range. Seem to be mainly sold bundled with Rega turntables and rarely seen on any other brand of deck but...

I tried a lot of cartridges on the RP10, both MM and MC, with some being twice the price of the Exact. While not the best in all areas it was the Exact I kept coming back to. Not tried as many carts on the LP12/RB3000 but the Exact sounds so good I'm struggling to find reasons to. Being critical I can say that the bass isn't as tight as better MC, top end isn't as sweet. Soundstage isn't as wide and you're not getting the same level of fine detail but after putting the Exact back on you realize you don't give a shit about any of that!

The Exact does what a stereo system is supposed to do. It brings the heart of the artists into your home. Music is propulsive, engaging and tonally full and rich. Artists have real body and weight and exists in real space with air and harmonics around them. Notes sing out and hang in the air. It's one of the most musically satisfying components I've ever heard.

I think that it's probably so tonally rich because it has been designed to match Rega turntables, which tend to be, if anything, slightly lean sounding. So when put on a fuller deck like the LP12 its strengths are amplified. It's also considered a budget cartridge so most people with top-tier turntable wouldn't even think about trying it. Especially if you have a Linn, as you'll probably stick to more established partners like Audio Technica for MM carts. This is a shame as when given a good arm to egg him on this little yellow guy runs out of his skin. It terms of sheer musical enjoyment this cartridge is an absolute bargain.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it can be improved on, I'm thinking about that now, but I'm resigned to spending a lot more money and I don't want to lose the soul the Exact brings. Which I fear may be difficult.
Unique among MM cartridges as it doesn’t offer a snap on replacement stylus which is part of the reason it performs so well.

advertisement

Back