advertisement

When equipment exceeds your expectations…

Most of my upgrades, fortunately, have exceeded my expectations. By default, my expectation is different by not necessarily better, so maybe a low bar. The 3 that stand out the most:

1) Exposure 4DR and later 16's. I found a demo 4DR at 25% retail, and bought it on a whim. Huge improvement over Linn LK280/Spark (again, probably a low bar to clear). The 16's were a similar improvement over 4DR.

2) Dynavector XV-1s. I was skeptical that expensive cartridges where worth it, especially given their limited lifespan. Other upgrades would've been considerable more expensive, so I went for. I'm on my 4th one today.

3) SME 20/2. I had had my LP12 for 22 years. The Keel was just released. I demoed the LP12/Keel vs. SME20/2, and much preferred the SME. The Keel upgrade cost about 50% of a new SME, with trade in, about 2/3 the cost.

So impressed by the digital stuff on the Pi platform. From a £25 JustBoom streamer to the Allo sig/shanti I listen to now. Key thing is they are all hugely enjoyable whatever your circumstance.

Loved my Musicmaker carts. Went through three over time. Len died and there was no easy follow up. Just by chance I took a punt on here on a Clearaudio Virtuoso ebony. It’s got the same quality that keeps me listening to vinyl as a preference. Good as the AT VM95SH is you just need to spend a bit more I’m afraid;)

Agreed; have had the Golds for some time but picked up an old pair of small TDL speakers. Same size, same format (I.B.) and similar sound and performance criteria; maybe marginally cleaner presentation.

Preamplifiers E.A.R. 912 completely ousted NA 552 in just about every parameter; Those (para?) meters are just so useful too.

Tuners. NAD 202 replaced newly serviced NAT 01. 'Orrible up/down selection but s.q. was a very pleasant surprise; marginally better in some aspects. Chalk and cheese financially, too !
LOL!
I too still have a pair of TDL near field monitors in the loft. I too slightly preferred them to mini monitors.

Spendor S 3/5
Have owned the Spendor a couple times over the years and likely the biggest "sleeper". Originally purchased to pair with a push/pull EL34 integrated but no real fireworks. Hooked up to a Nac72/Hicap/Nap180 and it sprung to life and true giant killers.

J M Reynaud Duets
Matched well with transistor and tubes but the magic really happened with an Audiomat tube amp. Easy to position and play all types of music... they are the real deal.

WTL Simplex
Had always wanted largely due to quirky design but the sound is what is truly special. Having owned SOTA, Systemdek and LP12 I wasn't prepared on just how musical this deck truly is. Hard to put a finger on what it does other than just a cohesion and flow to the sound which truly delivers on the promise of analogue. Mates especially well with Dynavector cartridge and phono.

Acoustic Energy AE1
Maddening to own as they were truly a $$$ sinkhole for upstream components which it demanded but would also always reward with sublime sound. The only mini-monitor that when used on proper stands and amplification could trick you into believing you were listening to a substantial floor-stander. Disappeared like no other speaker I've owned.

I used to be taken in by stories of giant killers in the mags decades ago. Alas none of them turned out that way when sat next to an item many times more expensive. Good at their price point but no slaying of Goliath when the fight happened.

Grado FCE+1. Only about £14 at the time and a "best buy" in the mags (about 1979 ish) it sounded wonderful and pretty much was a giant killer. WAY better than their current offerings even at several 100 £, which could put you to sleep...

Don't really understand the premise. I only buy kit after extensive demonstration so it does not exceed my expectations.

A pair of Rogers 15ohm ls3's, and a Leben 600 amplifier. Together they work so very well, i expected big things from the Leben, and wasn't disappointed, but the LS3's blew me away, so musical, and not as bass light as i expected.

Meridian m30's. For speakers, stands and power amps that cost me £257 cash and a drive to Dartford, I could not have done better.

Kef 103.2s. Bought for a song, sound amazing.

Rega Ela (ugly as sin but tight, tuneful, well balanced, a fun speaker)
Royd Sapphire (paid £60, wouldn’t let them go for four times that, see my comments on the Ela, they’re cut from the same cloth but even better IMO)
Ruarks Talisman 2 (I love these things, easy to drive, deep tuneful bass, open and detailed mid range, smooth and refined treble, at £160, probably the best used bargain I’ve had)
Linn Majik (amazing VFM, battleship build, smooth detailed and dynamic sound)
Linn Ikemi (one of my favourite CD players at any price, just does everything that matters to me right, beautifully built, metal CD tray)
Linn Ninka/Katan (a significant step over their already excellent predecessors, capable of doing justice to some serious partnering kit)
Meridian 507 CDP (gets surprisingly close to the Ikemi sonically, CD tray less impressive but who’s complaining at £400-£450?)
Maplin DAC (now this was a pleasant surprise, I bought it out of curiosity for £7 and it completely spanked my Dacmagic in every department, mentioned it here and others tried it and were equally impressed)
Naim Nait-5i (now if you listen to the old school Naim addicts, you’d believe this is the worst Nait… well I’d disagree, it’s just a great all rounder, gusty, dynamic, detailed and refined, built like a tank)
Naim CD-5i (similar qualities to its counterpart above really, they work brilliantly together and along with the Ruark speakers mentioned above, now form my second system after years of enjoying a Linn/Royd system).

A few items....

ProAc Tablette 10. ( Lurve these speakers.)

Audionote Arm1v2

True Point Audio mods.

SONY TAF-770ES and SONY CDP X55ES.

Recently acquired some AVI kit. The pre and mono block amps sound in dire need of a service but the cd player is a revelation. I’d forgotten how much pleasure can be had from ‘old school’ over engineered equipment.

advertisement

Back