advertisement

When did you last visit a HiFi Shop for a Demonstration?

When did you last visit a HiFi Shop for a demonstration?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There was another guy who used to do this 20 odd years ago but he’s gone from that particular business. It actually became quite funny as in - how long will he take to ask what you had then trash it in front of you.
Reminds me of a shop I visited in the early 90's, I suspect it was a Sevenoaks. They had a rather nice GyroDec in the window, I'd always wanted one and went in for a look. I had the money burning a hole in my pocket too.
"Oh yes, the GyroDec in the window. What turntable are you running at the moment?"
"A Rega Planar 2"
"Oh right, well this deck is probably too big a step up for you then".
That was the end of it. More fool them, I was very close to buying one and if he'd been nice I might well have gone out with it under my arm. Instead I thought "f* you" and went home empty handed. A couple of years later I bought an LP12. Never did have a Gyro, it's the only deck I wish I owned and never got round to.

Reminds me of a shop I visited in the early 90's, I suspect it was a Sevenoaks. They had a rather nice GyroDec in the window, I'd always wanted one and went in for a look. I had the money burning a hole in my pocket too.
"Oh yes, the GyroDec in the window. What turntable are you running at the moment?"
"A Rega Planar 2"
"Oh right, well this deck is probably too big a step up for you then".
That was the end of it. More fool them, I was very close to buying one and if he'd been nice I might well have gone out with it under my arm. Instead I thought "f* you" and went home empty handed. A couple of years later I bought an LP12. Never did have a Gyro, it's the only deck I wish I owned and never got round to.
I’ve an Orbe I’m going to sell. What’s your budget?......

Actual pre arranged demo to choose between options over 5 years ago but I've dropped in a few times to hear systems I've no intention of buying (and the dealer knew this). I've also had items on home loan where I was considering something as a replacement for an existing item, a Versalex to replace my Rock for instance, which it didn't and I bought the Artemis/Schroeder Ref on an "I'll take it back if you don't like it" basis a bit later from a dealer I'd never bought from before. I did visit before placing the order but heard a different deck (Brinkmann Oasis) and a different model Schroeder (CB) in a completely unfamiliar system, mostly we talked about music. I don't count this as a demo but with the take back offer it was enough.

To be honest the ship has sailed. I am sure the Orbe sounds great but it's the Gyro that has the spinning brass weights and I'd go for that first purely because it looks great. I already have a Garrard 401 and a Lenco 75, the Garrard sound great and the Lenco fulfils any need for a project, if I were to buy a Gyro it would be to look pretty in the lounge.

The last time I went to a dealer’s was in 1990 (Lintone in Newcastle).
I heard some flat Earth stuff, plain boring.
I know what I like, and I don’t need any demos. I almost went to Devialet in Paris two years ago, but I finally decided to walk past the shop.

The last demonstration I had was around 18 months ago in Peter Tyson in Carlisle. Fascinating concept: upmarket kitchens etc with a hifi dealership under one roof. Great cross-selling opportunity. Very helpful low / no pressure sales technique.
Conversely a dealer closer to home was so quick to rubbish what I had over the phone, there was no point in going any further.

Actual pre arranged demo to choose between options over 5 years ago but I've dropped in a few times to hear systems I've no intention of buying (and the dealer knew this). I've also had items on home loan where I was considering something as a replacement for an existing item, a Versalex to replace my Rock for instance, which it didn't and I bought the Artemis/Schroeder Ref on an "I'll take it back if you don't like it" basis a bit later from a dealer I'd never bought from before. I did visit before placing the order but heard a different deck (Brinkmann Oasis) and a different model Schroeder (CB) in a completely unfamiliar system, mostly we talked about music.
That sounds like a very healthy dealer relationship and the sort of thing a dealer should be encouraging. I remember years ago having bought a pair of Keilidhs from a dealer, there was a Linn promotion for the Majik (?) all in one system of the 90's, if you auditioned you got a free CD. He invited me in for a listen if I wanted but said "to be honest what you have is already better, but you can still have the CD" and so gained my appreciation. He later lost it, a year or two later, when I went in there talking about a Quad 33-303 I'd bought and he sneered and said "what are you messing about with that old thing for?" I had the wit to reply "Because it's as good as anything I've ever heard in here" (it was too), and for once he didn't have an answer. Shame, if he'd been more positive and said "Yes, nice thing. Showing its age these days of course, modern amps are a great improvement, now what I have here is..." he could have easily had me spending some money.

To be honest the ship has sailed. I am sure the Orbe sounds great but it's the Gyro that has the spinning brass weights and I'd go for that first purely because it looks great. I already have a Garrard 401 and a Lenco 75, the Garrard sound great and the Lenco fulfils any need for a project, if I were to buy a Gyro it would be to look pretty in the lounge.
I almost bought a Gyro 20 years ago from a guy, but had a crappy phono stage set up at the time and I stuck with the devil I knew from Drakemire Drive. I agree the brass weights are beautiful and more aesthetically pleasing than the Orbe. I should have stuck an ironic smiley on my post!

I think the dealer open day/ manufacturer roadshow is a good model. The one I attended in Edinburgh in the summer was very enjoyable and got my interest in new stuff back again after years of staying away from dealers. I recommended the dealer to a well heeled friend with a more casual interest in audio than me and he went in and is going to get some stuff.

A few years ago, a friend was looking to buy a system. He asked me to accompany him to a local dealer, to ‘lend an ear’, so to speak. During the dem, the dealer fell asleep! We had to wake him up in order change amps around.

A few years ago, a friend was looking to buy a system. He asked me to accompany him to a local dealer, to ‘lend an ear’, so to speak. During the dem, the dealer fell asleep! We had to wake him up in order change amps around.
You mean the two of you didn’t look at him, then each other, then the dem item, then the door?

The last time I went to a dealer’s was in 1990 (Lintone in Newcastle).
I heard some flat Earth stuff, plain boring.
I know what I like, and I don’t need any demos. I almost went to Devialet in Paris two years ago, but I finally decided to walk past the shop.
Lintone! They did sell me some second hand 12" Monitor Golds for a ridiculously reasonable price in about 2000.

Lintone! They did sell me some second hand 12" Monitor Golds for a ridiculously reasonable price in about 2000.
I really liked Lintone. Used to go in / buy stuff when I was in Newcastle years ago. Could have sworn I saw that killer who shot a cop in the face and (then himself down a drain) in the shop one day, upstairs listening to Fifty Cent over B&W N800s. His neck was as thick as his head.

Have had some decent experiences in dealer's shops. I went to Grahams Hi-Fi in London, when the Supernait came out. Had a demo and talked at length to the bloke assigned to me, but decided to buy a secondhand EAR V20 instead from another shop and hook it up to my DAC.

I'd definitely go back to Grahams for a demo or to have a unit repaired.

Jack

Last in 2016 for an used NAC282. After that time, I bought used Teddy Pardo equipment or others and tried it at real conditions at home.

Retail shopping in general is never a transcendent experience, but I've actually been pleasantly surprised a few times at hifi dealers over the years. I've even made a few purchases too, starting with a Rega Planar 2 at Graham's sometime in the mid-1980s and lastly a pair of Spendor S3/5Rs at Lintone around ten (?) years ago. Internet and the endless amount of used kit for sale have changed everything for me.

My last experience in 2018, mirrors many responses written here, so I will spare all on the details. It really must be difficult for some dealers to treat folks coming in to the shop as dare I say, human beings? That and the special handshake "Club" atmosphere that one must aspire to...ugh. Give me a break.

I'm interested to know when you visited a HiFi Shop for a demonstration?

Last time I was on a dealer's premises with a view to potentially buying something for myself was 2004, Loud & Clear in Edinburgh. They must have done something right, I spent about 10 grand with them.

Geography is one factor, I don't drive – never have done – and getting up and down the UK by rail's not so bad, but trying to go sideways adds complications.

Everything of any consequence I've bought in the last 10 or 12 years has come from one of two dealers, invariably with a home demo, with the exception of my current amp, which was sourced direct from the manufacturer, and an earlier amp supplied by the then distributor, who was a client at the time.

I am occasionally invited to listen to something by a local dealer, but he's well aware there's not much likelihood of money changing hands.

2014 I tried to compare a Quad valve amp with an ATC. Unfortunately the Quad failed but the ATC impressed me enough and I bought one. I was treated with respect.

Many years ago I had to visit three Edinburgh dealers to buy some Grado RS1 headphones and associated amp

1 Refused to take an RS1 order taken by his assistant until he could see me, apparently I passed

2 Tried to sell me some wireless headphones which only seemed to work outside his front door. He was taking the piss!

3 Refused to take an order for a Naim headline amp accusing me of treating him as a box seller and not a proper dealer. It got quite heated and he claimed that it was only headphones and so not important. I faced him down and got what I wanted. I wonder what he thinks now of the ludicrously expensive headphone market these days.

More recently I bought a Naim CDX2.2 to replace my old CDX2 (now a spare) so needed no demo. HiFi Corner appreciated my order and we had a good chat about my system and previous equipment. I wish them luck at their new address.

advertisement

Back