advertisement

What's your WTF hifi moment

A freind who likes trying inexpensive amps put me onto a Fosi Audio TDA7498E a Class D unit the size of a deck of cards. Max power from this chip amp is reported as 160W.

Well expected it to be in system a few minutes before being yanked...but instead it has been in constant duty for the last week. Doesn't sound small or underpowered or bright just gets on with the business of playing tunes. But how exactly?!?! I subscribe to diminishing returns in this hobby but these sell for about $80 Cnd!! WTF!

In the early nineties I spent an evening listening to a work colleagues system and was absolutely stunned:

LP 12, Ekos, Troika
NAC 72 + HiCap
2 x Linn LK140 ('Resting' one channel I think he said)
Linn Sara's

I had previously only heard stack systems and this was worlds apart. The bass shook the room, the drums kicked me in the chest, the volume made my ears ring!
Over 30 years later and that evening still sticks in my mind as a stand-out hifi moment.

Mine was many years ago buying a PL12D with an M75EJ - heavily recommended combo at the time ,I thought it was horribly thin and screechy - got rid of the M75 quick and bought an ADC.

advertisement

Back