advertisement

What's Your Favourite Jazz Piano Trio Recording?

A lot of good choices but some names that have not been mentioned yet:

Horace Tapscott
Jason Moran
Danilo Perez
Mathew Shipp
Don Pullen
Geri Allen
Stanley Cowell
Paul Bley
Jessica Williams
Danny Zeitlin

IMO some of the most brilliant and consistent pianists (& their trios) around.

I saw the Geri Allen, Haden, Motian trio many years ago, one of my favourite jazz gigs. They recorded the performance in one of Haden's The Montreal Tapes CDs

Lucky you! That's one of the great trios. I've seen both Haden and Motian but not in this trio. Sadly they are all gone now...and quite recently too.

Paul Bley certainly has been mentioned, essential.

I only ever saw Paul Bley with the Jimmy Giuffre trio, playing opposite the Don Pullen trio. That was in Cambridge in the early 90s, I think primarily to promote the ECM reissue of Fusion/Thesis. Apart from the music, the other memories I have from the gig is Bley having to sit on a telephone directory between him and the piano stool, and being amazed at just how quietly Giuffre could play. Great gig though.

Ah...Don Pullen. Extremely sad to have missed him live, died too young. His trio albums for Blue Note are among my favorite albums. I never tire of them with their inside and out playing.

My favourite jazz piano recordings are also probably the MPS Oscar Peterson recordings.

I haven't listened to him for a while, but the Bud Powell Trio recordings belong on any list of this nature, though probably not the finest wrk he contributed to. They're on his Blue Note box set, which is definitely worth spending time listening to if acoustic jazz is your bag.

The Haden/Motian/Jarrett recordings are pretty good too.

Playing my first press Waltz For Debby on Riverside. My word. The CD box is wonderful but there is something about this snapshot that is so special.

advertisement

Back