advertisement

What's Your Favourite Jazz Piano Trio Recording?

No argument with any of the contributions so far but, for a modern recording, I find myself always going back to Julian Joseph's Universal Traveller (from the 90s).

As with others this thread has made sort through and play some of the Trio recordings I had forgotten about. Of the more recent recordings, but not that recent, I like the Brad Mehldau 'Art of the Trio' recordings from 97, 98. The one of his I like best though is 'Alone Together' with Lee Konitz and Charlie Haden not part of the Trio set but also recorded in 1997.

I like Julian Joseph, but only seem to have solo or Quartet recordings so I'll have to get the above.

I'm surprised Mal Waldron hasn't been mentioned yet. He had a brilliant sparse way of playing that was unique and instantly recognisable. Perhaps he's better known for his solo recordings.

A couple of contemporary trios...

Firstly, Michael Wollny, seen here rocking out in Bonn:

I was lucky enough to see this trio at the Sheffield jazz club a couple of years ago and they were truly awesome.

Secondly, Bobo Stenson, a stalwart of the ECM label for many years. Here he is in a forest:

I don't know if there's a YouTube video of them but I've seen Fergus McCready in concert a few times with his trio. I've recently bought his only cd Turas . For a set of teenagers they impress.

There was a chap called Fred Simon (I think?) released a couple of albums in the naim label, used to post on the old forum, very, very good.

Any of Paul Bley’s 60s trios under his own name and with Jimmy Giuffre.

Cecil Taylor’s Feel Trio with William Parker and Tony Oxley.

Another vote for Herbie Nichols.

And we mustn't forget Lowell Davidson (with Gary Peacock and Milford Graves), although most people probably have......

From the classic era, it’s Gene Harris for me. Whether with the 3 Sounds, or later in his own trio with Ray Brown, he played with such great energy and joy! From the modern era, I really like the Tingvall Trio.

Ahmad Jamal -Live in Paris 1992 - Rock and Roll Jazz:)
Tord Gustavsen - The Ground - for the space between the notes
Kenny Barron / Charlie Haden - Night and the City (ok its only a duo)
Keith Jarrett - At the Blue Note - All 6 discs
Esbjörn Svensson - Somewhere Else Before - if only for the sublime "in the face of the day"
Bobo Stenson - Goodbye - for the best version of "send in the clowns" ever
and of course Bill Evans - Village Vanguard

My favourite Michael Garrick record, Cold Mountain, happens to be a trio. The LP is very rare, although CD transfer from about 2000 years ago excellent.

An overlooked gem from the late 60s/early 70s British free jazz scene is Flight by Howard Riley, with Tony Oxley and the formidable Barry Guy.

On a more contemporary note Kit Downes is doing some interesting things. (I’m biased as he’s related to my wife). I hear John Taylor, Michael Garrick and Paul Bley in his compositions and playing style (in fact one his tunes is called Bleylines), but most importantly he has his own voice and ideas. And he’s now recording for ECM, I’m looking forward to what he does there.

We perhaps need to have a thread to place all Jarrett's seemingly thousands of trio albums in some order of merit. The 6xCD Blue Note box is very special IMO, though I’m increasingly playing the more recent Yesterdays and Somewhere. Both exceptional albums IMO.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
So many to choose from but I'd go with Keith Jarrett's 'standards' trio - "Still Live":

Ah yes, a big favourite here at C6 Towers. Rarely gets a mention in the KJ discography.
Currently playing Bill Evans Trio - Portrait Jn Jazz. Sublime.

We perhaps need to have a thread to place all Jarrett's seemingly thousands of trio albums in some order of merit. The 6xCD Blue Note box is very special IMO, though I’m increasingly playing the more recent Yesterdays and Somewhere. Both exceptional albums IMO.
He is almost too prolific for me to navigate

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
He is almost too prolific for me to navigate

I came to the conclusion that the Blue Note box for the trio and Sun Bear Concerts box for solo is really all that is essential, but that does mean more is not better!

PS Very good prices on these at present, they were each £20-25 or so more a month or two ago!

I came to the conclusion that the Blue Note box for the trio and Sun Bear Concerts box for solo is really all that is essential, but that does mean more is not better!

PS Very good prices on these at present, they were each £20-25 or so more a month or two ago!
Thanks, may well have a look at those. I am slightly overwhelmed with a glut of recent purchases & revisiting existing vinyl since new cart has been fitted

Red Garland was the pianist in Miles Davis' first quintet. He recorded a few trio albums that were noteworthy, especially a 1957 date called "Groovy". On it, he did a great rendition of Duke Ellington's "C-Jam Blues" that is definitely worth hearing.

advertisement

Back