advertisement

What's Your Favourite Jazz Piano Trio Recording?

I heard a track from this on the excellent Jazz 24 station earlier this week. At the end the presenter said ‘some very erm... forceful personalities there’ which made me chuckle.

I once read that Mingus was extremely nervous about recording with Duke Ellington. Folks that knew him well, said they had never seen Mingus so intimidated by anybody. IMO, that says it all...

For Oscar Peterson I’ll never stop recommending the MPS Exclusively for My Friends series of albums. The high-water mark of his career IMO, apparently he felt the same too. They were recorded privately whilst he was under contract to Verve and only released later, are superb recordings and have a freedom and life to them that he seldom achieved when doing commercial sessions.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A Monastic Trio by Alice Coltrane is up there in my world.

As an individual piece of jazz piano, her Turiya and Ramakrishna track is my favourite individual piece of jazz.

Whilst I am a fan of Monk, Evans, Peterson I would throw another couple of modern trio's into the mix alongside EST. The Beloved group of Django Bates and Phronesis. Bates' playing is always adventurous, subtle and engaging and never more so than on his take on Bird's greatest compositions.

Phronesis are a more aggressive modern outfit, with a powerful driven approach.

Interesting that nobody has mentioned Ahmad Jamal.

Marchbanks did in post 9. 'Live at the Pershing' ('At the Pershing / but not for me' - 1958 I think) and as much as I love the Bill Evans Vangard sessions I think I would second that one as well. Very under rated.

Another underrated pianist: Herbie Nichols - The Prophetic Herbie Nichols vol.1 & 2

Wrote amazing music but was sadly only recorded for two years of his life 1955-57 before dying in relative obscurity in 1963 aged 44.
Many of his tunes were left unrecorded during his lifetime but have since been revived and recorded by Roswell Rudd, Steve Lacy and others.

Mark Miller's 2013 biography of him quickly went out of print but is now available in print-on-demand: http://www.lulu.com/gb/en/shop/mark...trade-edition/paperback/product-20642136.html

Whilst I am a fan of Monk, Evans, Peterson I would throw another couple of modern trio's into the mix alongside EST. The Beloved group of Django Bates and Phronesis. Bates' playing is always adventurous, subtle and engaging and never more so than on his take on Bird's greatest compositions.

Phronesis are a more aggressive modern outfit, with a powerful driven approach.
Neil Cowley’s ‘Displaced’ is another fine modern trio album.

Marchbanks did in post 9. 'Live at the Pershing' ('At the Pershing / but not for me' - 1958 I think) and as much as I love the Bill Evans Vangard sessions I think I would second that one as well. Very under rated.

My mistake. Another great live Jamal recording is "Ahmad's Blues" on the Chess label.

Currently listening to Keith Jarrett Yesterdays, one of his better trio recordings IMO. Well worth a listen.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Inspired by this I've just been running through my jazz piano trio recordings (my wife is busy trying to meet a freelance deadline so I took over the ironing duties this week, much to my shame she nearly always does the ironing, and this gave me plenty of time to listen to music): Ahmad Jamal, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, (overlooked Errol Garner's Concert by the Sea), Jacques Loussier; though I prefer David Rees-Williams Trio's Hidden Colours and his reinterpretations of Purcell, plus some more contemporary tracks from Neil Cowley Trio and Go Go Penguin; also, the Marcin Wasilewski Trio. So much good music, it's hard to pick a favourite. This evening Oscar Peterson's Night Train stood out, though I suspect if I did this again tomorrow the choice might be different. I'll need to explore some of the suggestions above now.

Inspired by this I've just been running through my jazz piano trio recordings (my wife is busy trying to meet a freelance deadline so I took over the ironing duties this week, much to my shame she nearly always does the ironing, and this gave me plenty of time to listen to music): Ahmad Jamal, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, (overlooked Errol Garner's Concert by the Sea), Jacques Loussier; though I prefer David Rees-Williams Trio's Hidden Colours and his reinterpretations of Purcell, plus some more contemporary tracks from Neil Cowley Trio and Go Go Penguin; also, the Marcin Wasilewski Trio. So much good music, it's hard to pick a favourite. This evening Oscar Peterson's Night Train stood out, though I suspect if I did this again tomorrow the choice might be different. I'll need to explore some of the suggestions above now.

I've been doing the same thing, and in the process, unearthing some old gems in my collection. There have also been some albums mentioned that I don't have, so I'll have to check them out in the future.

Not seen mentioned yet,

Monty Alexander. Montreux Alexander Live . Or InTokyo. two great albums ( at least in my opinion )

advertisement

Back