advertisement

What's Your Favourite Jazz Piano Trio Recording?

rough edges

Sapere Aude
I'll start things off with Money Jungle - Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach. Very close second goes to Ellington - Piano in the Foreground. Ellington always sounds so "modern" to me; I guess he was just way ahead of his time...
There are so many great piano trio recordings in the jazz genre, so what's your favourite?

Brian

Too many to choose from but Jarrett, Peacock, DeJohnette ‘Standards’ must be up there.

Another vote for Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard, though my favourite individual trio track is Blackberry Winter by Keith Jarrett, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian on Jarrett’s Bob-Be album.

Agreed, the Bill Evans Village Vanguard recordings are excellent.

I also recommend Tord Gustavsen's trio.

I have a couple of the Keith Jarrett trio albums, Deer Head Inn and Tokyo, but I've never really got into them. They seem a bit conservative to me.

I like most of the Jacques Loussier Trio.
Which one do you have a problem with?

Rather than just me-tooing I’ll mention Ahmad Jamal and ‘Live at the Pershing’ from early on and ‘Marseille’ from quite recently. Many other gems to discover though.

Or in a more modern rocking-out style I’m fond of EST Live in London.

I'll start things off with Money Jungle - Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach. Very close second goes to Ellington - Piano in the Foreground. Ellington always sounds so "modern" to me; I guess he was just way ahead of his time...
There are so many great piano trio recordings in the jazz genre, so what's your favourite?

Brian

Thanks for the Duke Ellington suggestion. Within seconds it's on a Spotify playlist and saved for later on Amazon (CD).

Which one do you have a problem with?

I prefer something like Reflections Of Bach (1987) to his earlier stuff, I think his band had changed and sounds a bit nicer ? looser than some of his 60's stuff. I still love Play Bach No. 1

- I came to his music backwards if you like. Bloody opinions, they just never make sense.

The late Jacques Loussier (Play Bach) and Oscar Peterson (We Get Requests).

Brad Mehldau trio these days.

Brian
Love the fact that you have mentioned Ellington in this context. He is a total genius but his piano playing is often overlooked; the little 'tribute' he does at the end of '& his mother call him Bill' always brings a tear to the eye.

I'll start things off with Money Jungle - Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach.
I heard a track from this on the excellent Jazz 24 station earlier this week. At the end the presenter said ‘some very erm... forceful personalities there’ which made me chuckle.

I heard a track from this on the excellent Jazz 24 station earlier this week. At the end the presenter said ‘some very erm... forceful personalities there’ which made me chuckle.
The liner notes on the record are quite amusing, Ellington had to play peacemaker

advertisement

Back