advertisement

What's the last piece of Hifi you sold?

Sold a pair of Kef/Schlumberger speakers, through our local record shop, which I had refurbished.

I repair turntables & speakers for them.

The buyers of audio equipment from the shop aren't the usual 'anorak collector' types.
Thank goodness...

Trade in at dealers much of the time, less dosh but much less hassle.

On pfm classifieds the last thing I sold was Allo USB + DigiOne Sig with Shanti PSU. Reason was I did a head to head between a tricked out Rasp Pi the Allo + M-Scaler + TT2 + LPSUs Vs Bartok. The Bartok won having previously seen off a couple other setups. Tend to buy 2, compare, sell one, buy another, compare, sell one - until I get to a happy settled place.
Happy settled place..in hifi!
Not sure my search will ever be over..until the grim reaper or deafness take a hand in matters..lol

Have you ever tried a step up transformer with an ipod? Works with phones too..I sometimes use mine with a music first step up.. sounds rather good

I didn’t even know that was a thing, so no, never tried it. No need for me though, if I want to stream anything in the main system I use the Airport Express that is hooked up to my DPA DAC, or for the upstairs system I plug the iPhone straight into the Marantz SACD player and use it’s DAC. There is an Apple TV in the TV room, so audio streaming there too.

A rare Mega amplifier I think, about five years ago. It was faulty & I cbf undertaking an awkward repair.

Meanwhile I have two other amplifiers to get rid of, as well as one or two CDPs & a bunch of speakers. They sit in my spare room taking up space & money. Unfortunately since I live in a small town all will likely have to be packed & shipped to buyers. It’s too much of a hassle for my simple brain, such that I sometimes contemplate just giving them away simply to be rid!

Reactions: RoA
Sold 3 bits recently:

Chord Co Odyssey cables - surplus to requirements

iFi power supply - never used it!

ProAc Tablette 10 Signature - upgraded to Focal Kanta 1

Reactions: RoA
Just sold my mint Quad 405-2 with Dada power supply and boards to a friend for spare change..........
Lovely amplifier but I am now more addicted to the Naim and Exposure sound signature so really wasn’t using the 405-2 anymore.
And worst case scenario, I can go visit my buddy with a six pack of beer if ever I miss my Quad amp !

I sold three items in quick succession about a year ago.
  1. Dynavector HX-1.2mk2 - surplus to requirements as I already have a pair of Densen B-350 mono blocks and a class-A power amp.
  2. Denon DRM-24HX - I barely use my Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1.5 as it is, and none of my preamps have two separate tape loops.
  3. Yamaha T-1 tuner - nothing in the airwaves appeal to my listening taste, and I don't have a proper aerial.
All of the above were second-hand purchases in the first instance, and I sold them for considerably more than I paid.

Naim CD5x and Flatcap 2x, because they were spare. This was quite a few years ago, I later had a use for them so regretted it, I’ve not sold any hifi since.
Much more recently I’ve given a Rega Cursa/Maia, DACr and a pair of Thiel CS1.6s to my sister in law.

Michell TecnoArm 2 because I replaced it with an SME 309 on my Gyrodec;

plus two sets of Supra and Van Damme speaker cables I wasn't using.

I should get rid of more stuff I suppose. :(

A Scott 355 AM/FM tuner/Preamp, and a Scott 208 Stereo power amp. These pieces were a barn find, covered in filth but completely stock and original with no modifications. Dated 1963. To be honest, I have enough projects to keep me busy for the rest of my life. These would have sat in 'the pile' for a long time. Sold as-is on eBay. The guy was thrilled.

Broken Shahinian Hawks (still sounding great btw). Replaced with Audiovector R6 arrette.
A very different experience but absolutely no regrets.

I have just sold a pair of supra sword xlr,and a pair of Linn Silver rca over on hifi wigwam,and I have for sale a linn klimax kontrol,a linn Akurate ds and two more pairs of Linn Silver,with more to follow.

I think it could have been a Naim 32.5 with 72 boards in it. A friend wanted it and at the time I didn't. If it wasn't that, it would have been a Target wall shelf.
Keep thinking I should clear out some of my old bits of kit now that I am about to downsize to a smaller house.

The last thing I sold was a pioneer pd6100 CD player back in… 1995? Since then, everything I’ve acquired I’ve kept. I really need to start selling again - I’m in a happy place with my hifi now, but have so many lovely things that someone else should be enjoying. I’m just a bit hopeless at or organising the sale of something.

Since Covid struck I've changed quite a lot of the system so

Sold:
Proac Future .5
Moon 260DT CD transport (rarely spin CDs so the Cambridge CXU does the trick)
Chord DAC 64 mk2 (made redundant by the Bartok)
dCS Bartok (went up the range)
Isotek Sigmas (2 of them)
Isotek Syncro
Atacama Equinox racks

Still to be advertised:
Kondo VC (2 sets RCA)
Kondo VZII digital RCA
Kondo SPC bi-wire
Analysis Plus Silver 1n (2 sets XLR)
Various Cardas Golden Ref

Probably a gift for a friend (the Canary 601 I gave her has gone belly up, and there seems to be no market for it here in France)
MFA Classic TVC

Thinking seriously of selling two of my three Aesthetix boxes - the phono stage and power amp. I've already bought a Moon 760a power amp after a second lengthy home trial and am thinking of getting their 810lp phono stage.
:)

Last edited:
Linn Wakonda, two LK100s and Ninka active cards, because it was a waste leaving them languishing in their boxes… my friend bought them and is absolutely loving them with her Ninkas.

advertisement

Back