advertisement

What's The Last Bit Of Audio Equipment You Have Bought II?

Hifiman HE400i headphones. First time I’ve heard planar magnetic headphones, and they are way better than previous headphones I’ve had from the likes of Grado, Sennheiser, AKG or Philips.

Puresound 2a3 amplifier.
Decided it's time to get another valve amp and a triode at that , lovely thing and extra heating for next winter lol.

JBL's
yeah me too
but now in the JBL refoam process ...i bought my JBL's Aquarius 4's as gift for the mrs
but they have utterly beguiled me and i hope to find more of them

I agree re the mid band and the attack, the bass is also a thing of wonder. they leave my Tannoys well behind.
I am familiar with your opinion of the JBL 4429. I read your thread before I ordered my 29s, but I also heard them at the dealers, so I had to make up my mind based purely on my own ears. I listened for any sign of the honk/nasal effect you described with male vocals and could not hear anything like that. What I heard was a very natural midrange presentation; some might even call it slightly warmish. Male vocals sounded as good as I have ever heard them. Overall for me, the 4429 sounded nicely balanced, very dynamic, open, fast and completely non fatiguing. And they sure do scale...
I now have about 35 hours on my 4429s. I use a mid spec LP12/52/250/Fraim into them, and it all sounds wonderful together. I have roughly the same midrange presentation as at the dealers, with an overall balance that I think is ideal. I have been keeping a Rel S3 just in case, but the 29s are now to the point where the sub will be up for sale or repurposed in our other system. I am amazed at how percussion is handled by the 4429s; it's like having the drum set right in front of you (I sit only 7 feet back). Also, the best bass performance I've heard. Listening to the great Jazz drummers and bassists is a whole new experience for me with the 29s.
As for the honk, I haven't heard anything like that, so I feel it's a non issue. I obviously respect your observations, but they were made with your ears, so I have to chalk it up to that. We all hear differently, to state the obvious, so you had to find another solution.
On the other hand, I think I have found my lifetime speaker.

BB

Yesterday i bought a drek Panasonic Cd player SLP something deck - as a doner deck for an upmarket Technics.

I bought the deck my audio engineer specified as a good donor

turns out his cross referencing was wrong it has a Phillips cd4/16 sled not a technics one....

ho la ..the last bit of hifi i bought

My recent purchases have been...
1. a Quad FM tuner which I bought just because I like the look of it (and not actually to use)
2. a new-old-stock case/sleeve for my Quad 33 pre to make it look even cuter

I probably could've posted this in the 'do you buy kit because it looks nice.....' thread :)

Naim 82, Olive 250 & HCDR to replace my aged 102/HC and add an amp to make it all work. My Epos 14's are singing again after 18 years of storage. That is far too long to be without your kit! Now if only my dead CDX was working I'd be a happy camper (if anyone has a spare transport drop me a line).

Trilogy H1 electrostatic amp for my Stax 007s. It arrived earlier today and I've just installed it. Initial impressions are very positive - it's less detailed than the Mjolnir Audio Mini KGSSHV that I was using. But the H1 has more weight, presence and solidity and it's, imo, a better match with the 007s.

Thanks to Paul @ Hifi Lounge for very helpful advice and a great level of service:)

It's here - my Mjolnir KGSSHV Mini!!! The first one I ordered had some issues, so this is the second one. Very solid little amp, runs at 450v internally I think, big chunky heatsinks which get super hot in use. Sonically, early days, but this is definitely 'destination-fi', with sonics beyond anything I've yet owned or heard. Worth every penny, even though it was rather a lot of those...

Very happy, me. Just need to find some me time to listen properly without kids and dogs and background noise.....

I sold my Naim gear two weeks ago and last friday my Teddy Pardo stuff arrived. PR1 and double MB100 monoblocks. Kept my Naim CD5x and upgraded it with a TeddyCap.

A job lot consisting of a Kenwood KR-V5090 A/V receiver, a Pioneer TX-130L tuner, a Sony TC-KE400S cassette deck and a Yamaha CR-500 receiver.

I'll give you three guesses which was the one item I actually wanted...;)

A fabulous pair of Arcs from a member of this site that are being driven by my newly upgraded Avondale M130's. (the excellent new Qudos 220 boards)
What a happy chappy I am. Thanks Les.
Awesome, absolutely awesome!

After over a year of planning, listening and thought, I finally moved away from my Naim amps and am working on my “retirement” system. I bought a pair of German made Linnenberg Allegro monobloc amplifiers, a Telemann Dac/preamp and Maestro headphone amp. This will feed a pair of maple clad Duevel Venus Omni speakers, which are on order and won’t be with me for another five or so weeks. The wait begins....currently using the LinnenberG gear with my Larsen Model 4 speakers and Naim Uniti until I can get the Innuos Zen ripper/media player in. This is the first ever type of situation for me in many, many years, and probably my last!

advertisement

Back