advertisement

What's that valve?

Vinny

pfm Member
I thought that I'd post this just to show how the valve industry was so intertwined (it was, after all, a cartel).

These were probably branded by Thorn EMI, whose major brand was Brimar, as for most of the time that valves were branded Mazda, Thorn had the license to use "Mazda" -

RARE PAIR OF MAZDA BELVU TELEFUNKEN ECC82 LONG SMOOTH PLATE <> BASE | eBay

Thorn also had a very long-standing arrangement with Tungsram (Hungary), whose valves freuently appear branded Brimar. That lasted way beyond the days of valves, through to the acquisition of both Thorn and Tungsram by GE USA, to the purchase of the whole of the European/Middle Eastern lighting business of GE, by Tungsram, as a MBO by the Hungarians.

These speak for themselves -
RARE PAIR OF MARCONI MULLARD ECC82 MITCHAM PLANT 1960 | eBay

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yes, you really do need to learn the etched codes and recognise plate designs. Also worth noting that Philips purchased Sylvania at some point (apparently to obtain access to some US defence contracts), so you can find US valves with a Brimar or whatever logo. I’ve got several Brimar EC803Cs that are very obviously Sylvanias.

A regular ECC82 to me, the original one. I’ve plenty of those in a drawer.
Very common, ubiquitous even, this side of the Channel!
The other ones I’ve never come across, unless ECC 83 is etched in them!

Philips purchased Sylvania at some point (apparently to obtain access to some US defence contracts)

True, Sylvania USA, but it was very late in the age of valves. Late 1970's? Sylvania became Philips ECG - electronic component group. It was bought solely to get an intro' to defence supply in the US, which was fiercely protective of a US supply chain.

Somewhere online there is a video of an ex worker going around the semi-derelict Sylvania/Philips ECG plant that was the hub of Sylvania valve production, the location of which escapes me at present.

Brimar as a brand seems to have been by far the nearest of the big UK names to be exactly that - a brand rather than manufacturer, although they certainly did manufacture plenty of valves in-house.

Brimar, now the UK phoenix valve manufacturer brand name.

The other thing worth noting, perhaps, is that Japan had no valve manufacturing capacity prior to WW2 that was worthy of the name and that Philips provided technology, and probably production machines, to set them up after the war. So Toshiba, National, Mitsubishi, NEC etc. valves, are Philips technology.

Brimar as a brand seems to have been by far the nearest of the big UK names to be exactly that - a brand rather than manufacturer, although they certainly did manufacture plenty of valves in-house.

I’ve always found Brimar puzzling. I’ve heard more than one explanation as to the name; British Made American Range being one, British Marconi being another. The former looks more accurate. They certainly made valves themselves and do have their own etched code structure, but they clearly also re-branded countless others. Some details of the codes here. Annoyingly Brimar doesn’t seem to have a Wikipedia entry.

PS Worth googling Brimar valve history, some of their ads/fliers are really cool art deco retro futurist stuff!

Brimar was originally a trade mark of either STC (Standard Telephones and Cables), or Marconi - I forget which.

As Jules thorn expanded his empire he bought the great majority of lamp and electronic tube manufacturing capacity in the UK (a valve is not really any different to a lamp, just more and more complicated metalwork inside). So, Thorn bought EEV, STC, Marconi, AEI, and various other production facilities and brands, and also licensed Mazda from GE USA. It had numerous factories making lamps and valves until it was taken over by GE USA, who insisted that Thorn close most factories BEFORE the deal went through. The two that I knew people associated with were at Buckey, in Scotland, and Ponders End, but there were many, and many other well-known UK electrical brands were actually part for Thorn - even Bulgin I believe.

Thorn/Thorn EMI was obviously a VAST company back in the 60's-70's, it even had a marine salvage division.

I seem to reacall finding an explanation of the name Brimar, but can't recall what it was, or where I read it....... maybe part of an STC or Thorn history?

advertisement

Back