advertisement

What's Opposite to the Naim sound?

The S'Nait is indeed based on the current Black or Classic range. This range is slightly richer in tone than the older stuff.

I regard the Naim Sound more to do with the CB/Olive ears, JCV's time and vision and the establishment of the cult. ;) :eek:

Neither are bright, thin or forward. They just rock!!!!

Good to see you back there also PE. :)

Thanks gaius. I would still like to replace my SN with a teddy integrated at some point.

I think the correct statement is that active speakers don't give you a choice of what power amp to use, the manufacturer has chosen for you.

Not saying ATC power amps are in anyway bad just that you have to use them.

Out of interest who designs their amps, is it an in house one?

ATC design everything in-house. So the awesome drive units have active crossovers and amplifiers which are perfectly matched to them

Characterful valve amplifier, or solid state with tone controls.

....or Naim with tone controls.

There is nothing inherent in the Naim circuits to make them sound thin, bright, or possessed of too much treble. Old wives tale.

They produce quite a lot of switching distortion which some people, I am one of them, find highly objectionable.

i have switched from el44 push pull to a supernait 2 and it sounds far warmer / richer than the valve set up, and especially then the Sugden that preceded that - mind you, now have Harbeth's so that could have a lot to do with it - a superb combination - the b&w's probably have more to do with the sound you are describing than your amp imho.

i have switched from el44 push pull to a supernait 2 and it sounds far warmer / richer than the valve set up, and especially then the Sugden that preceded that - mind you, now have Harbeth's so that could have a lot to do with it - a superb combination - the b&w's probably have more to do with the sound you are describing than your amp imho.

I would agree that is more likely the speakers. Had a similar issue with PMC's and now have Harbeth SHL5+. Currently listening to Couperin Harpsichord works and a pleasure, no brittleness or sheen.

PMC had a bright top end with a Art Audio 300BXLS SET, so the amp was not the issue. Croft and Harbeth is very popular combination.

They produce quite a lot of switching distortion which some people, I am one of them, find highly objectionable.

They must has sorted it on the NAP300 'cos that's capable of sounding superb (albeit at a price!!!).

There is a review of the NAIT 5si in the October Stereophile that shows excellent behaviour into 8 Ohms and a strange hiccup in the distortion vs power curve into 4 Ohms. Add the effects of 1/3 Ohm output resistance and I would expect the Naim to be fairly blameless into 8R speakers, but compromised into 4R types

The opposite of NAIM sound = just about anything else that's out there. Apart from devotees growing up with NAIM, is there some other reason/rationale for folks to be so attached to a company's brand and its product line?

The opposite of NAIM sound = just about anything else that's out there. Apart from devotees growing up with NAIM, is there some other reason/rationale for folks to be so attached to a company's brand and its product line?
The JV products were pretty special. I'm not so sure about latter-day Naim.

I'd kind of say quite the opposite, YMMV :)
Each to their own, but I do very much like what an ARO does and I still think the NAIT2 is the best sounding little integrated amp around. I don't have much experience of latter-day Naim, hence the "I'm-not-so-sure" statement from me. Do you think they are even more special than vintage Naim?

Each to their own, but I do very much like what an ARO does and I still think the NAIT2 is the best sounding little integrated amp around. I don't have much experience of latter-day Naim, hence the "I'm-not-so-sure" statement from me. Do you think they are even more special than vintage Naim?

I'm no fan of Naim amplifiers personally but I hear that some of the recent ones are of a totally different design to the basic circuit that was used in all the older Naim amps. A good thing in my book...

Opposite to Naim sound..a mushy ole quad amp

If you're talknig a six pack of ancient NAP135s versus a tired 303 then maybe, but the thing I like about the NAP300 and the Quad 909 is the "velvet glove/iron fist" sound they both have.

advertisement

Back