advertisement

What's going on?

Crash!

pfm Member
I spend most of my time listening to music at my desk at home working. Sometimes I'll stop and listen to the music like I used to on the settee at the shrine of the hi-fi. I don't seem to do that any more.

The old hifi system is a MDAC > NAC 152 XS > NAP 200 (In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti) > PMC GB1s.

I've loved transmission line speakers since the 90s when I had some TDL RTL 3s and I've loved Naim since I swapped out a HK potato for a 90/112 combo.

Matching components was never really a problem for me. I just wanted to like what I was hearing. Each change I made improved things and I was happy, even though I'm sure a few purists out there would suggest the pre should be a bit better and that amp could drive something a little meatier than the tiny drivers on the GB1s.

Moving on, the system for the office was using the MDAC > Arcam Delta 90 > Dali Zensor 3+s. Not a bad thing to do conference calls on and listen to Radio 3 whilst working, but I was missing what I had and it's where I now do most listening. A couple of days ago therefore I bought some used PMC DB1s off eBay. They're essentially the bookshelf version of the GB1s and will arrive next week. In preparation, I've swapped out the Arcam for the Naim amp. The difference is night and day and I properly hate it.

What's going on?

Sure, there's more detail, soundstage, timing with grippy tannins and an elegant fruit finish, but blimey, after 10 minutes I feel like I've been beaten up. There's also a quack (think honk, but higher up the frequency range) that seems to seperate highs and mids.

This is the first time I've 'upgraded' and don't like it and I don't know enough to know why. Theories would be greatly appreciated. I'd just like to be able to explain it.

advertisement

Back