advertisement

Whatever happened to Teleton?

musicman56

50 years hifi & vinyl junkie
In 1974 I bought my first amp, a Teleton SAQ307D. It was horribly under-powered at 8W per channel but served me through my Uni years until a JVC amp replaced it in the late 70s.

Whatever happened to Teleton?

My mum and dad had a receiver when I was a kid. Lovely smooth action on the tuning knob. I remember playing with it seeing how close I could I could get it to a certain mumber on the dial with just one flick.

Dunno what happened to them or it either.

The only Teleton device I ever owned was a standalone Dolby unit, which I had at some point in the late ‘seventies. The company disappeared a great many years ago but I have no idea of the circumstances.

Mick

My Teleton amp was a 21st birthday present from my friends.
That one too saw me through Uni.
'cheap and cheerful' I think sums it up.

Not sure if that's truly sad or quite inspiring that someone has a web site dedicated to a cheap and nasty plastic fantastic brand...

My Teleton amp was a 21st birthday present from my friends.
That one too saw me through Uni.
'cheap and cheerful' I think sums it up.
Yep, cheap and cheerful. Just don't ever go past 12 o'clock on the volume unless you want a whole heap of clipping distortion. Other than that...

My first proper amp in the early seventies, replaced pretty quickly with an Armstrong 526, then a Tandberg TR1000

Tried one SAQ307 recently with Genexxa 206 speakers, just for fun, they produced some sound.. I have read somewhere the 206 and 307 models were very similar, based on Mitsubishi circuit, capacitor coupled solid state design. Maybe they still would be relatively good if properly refurbished with quite efficient speakers.

My mum and dad had a receiver when I was a kid. Lovely smooth action on the tuning knob. I remember playing with it seeing how close I could I could get it to a certain mumber on the dial with just one flick.

Dunno what happened to them or it either.
Bless you mate. Did you lose your mum and dad suddenly?

Ah, the myriad ways our language has of saying the wrong thing.

Dog for sale. Eats anything. Loves children :D

My father ran a small electrical business and showed me some Teleton amplifiers in a catalogue.
I told him not to order any, as they probably wouldn’t sell easily.

Bought my first boombox when I was about 13 was massive.I remember putting batteries in it and carrying it to my local town centre to do body popping!!!!.Those were the days.I bought it from boots when they sold electrical hifi type gear for 80.00, I absolutely loved it .That was the start of my hifi journey good memories,I loved that big old silver teleton boombox.I couldn't afford the big Sony models of the day. Would still love one now just for nostalgia.

This was mine off of the 70s - spotted it when scanning some old negatives recently.
I think I replaced it with an amplifier ....

50822641651_9de9e5f887_c.jpg

(from memory, the box on top of it was a Phillips top loader cassette player)

This was mine off of the 70s - spotted it when scanning some old negatives recently.
I think I replaced it with an amplifier ....

50822641651_9de9e5f887_c.jpg

(from memory, the box on top of it was a Phillips top loader cassette player)
Looks like a SAQ 206B. My Dad had one in the early 70s.

advertisement

Back