advertisement

Whatever happened to Sarah Chang?

Dozey

Air guitar member
I loved her Tchaicovsky concerto, but it looks like she has not released an album for 10 years.

Still playing but once she outgrew the child prodigy stage the labels lost interest in her. I was never that impressed by her beyond her amazing technical ability for one that young. Plenty of others had far more of interest to say.

I don't think she was distinctive enough. So many prodigies around I think you've got to be special to have longevity.

I think someone like Julia Fischer falls into the special category. Her sound and interpretations are memorable and I feel she will go on. She has the potential greatness and seriousness of luminaries such as Heifetz and Milstein. I still love Milstein. He has a humanity, sincerity warmth about his playing that brings the music to life.

The east coast of the USA is churning out or has been churning out great violinists, technically speaking, for years. But they all sound the same. It takes someone really special to reach deeper. That is when you find genius.
I was put off violin music years ago by hearing too much Wieniawski, Sarasate and Paganini . I heard someone on youtube play the most amazing Paganini 1st concerto. But then heard him play Bach and it was all a bit pointless.

advertisement

Back