advertisement

What would you do?

RP6 is overkill. I would save money for now and get a second hand RP3-24. Great value and a great spinner. Your amps aren;t really going to reflect all the RP6 can do nor can you afford a top end cart, so keep it simple.

I ran the P3-24 with Bias2 in to my old 82-250-SBL system and it was great.

To echo some other comments, I have recently returned to vinyl with a s/h Rega P3-24 and Elys 2 mm cart playing into a MF XLP and it sounds fab:) The total cost is small c/w my amps and spks. In the past, I've spent waaaay too much on TT's and mc carts, but the Rega is putting a very large grin on my face.

Buy a good set up like mine, save some money, and wait til you can understand the acoustics of your new pad.
Good luck, moving out is a really special time in one's life!

You may need to factor in a decent wall bracket for the TT as well.

Hearing what the RP3 can do, I would also echo the thoughts of others and thinking further 'down' the ladder from the RP6. Mine is happily booging along on a 282/200/SC system and outshines the digital side with a decent recording. Its just getting up off the sofa to change the record over the disadvantage !

Its very easy to get sucked into an exp cartridge when building a system, when something basic to get you up and running works very well, then decide on what you want to do. ;)

...My only issue is that the Harbeths are sometimes a bit too laid back for Rock/Metal and are pretty bad with electronic music. Everything else is superb!

A self-confessed Harbeth enthusiast writes...

These speakers are just as good for rock or electronic as any other musical genre - the trouble, particularly for the latter, is that many people expect massive amounts of uncontrolled extreme bass which Harbeth speakers simply will not do. The fact that they are designed, from the off, to be very natural sounding is working against you in this instance.

Wait until you have moved into your new gaff and if you still believe you have a problem, the addition of a suitable sub-woofer may be the answer when you feel that some extra LF piston action is required.

Agree with GTM and others - wait until you've moved into a new place. Harbeths are excellent and will play most music just fine if you don't demand high SPLs.
Assess them afresh in the new room and change if not happy at that point.

Swapping the Naim amp for the Rega will make little if any difference.

Swapping the Naim amp for the Rega will make little if any difference.

This is actually what I wanted to hear :)

That will save me a fair bit of money for some new vinyl!

I will be keeping the Harbeths. I do really enjoy their sound.

Many thanks for all of your replies. I think I will be looking at the RP3, but what cart? If I sell my P75 I will use the phono input of the Brio-R, which limits cartridge choice. Maybe Denon DL-110 or the Exact? Basically, I'm trying to be as stingy as possible, where possible!

Having just got a RP3 ex dem myself, I am using a AT95E £30 ish inc delivery from Germany. Works a treat !

The exact cartridge gets alot of good reviews, but depends what level you want to jump in at. There is another thread on the forum about cartridges with alot of compliments for the AT95 with a Rega.

Its a great starter point, without spending an arm and leg, then you can upgrade, look out for bargins etc at a later date (or buy lots of vinyl, as you will want to !). I am still putting the hours on it, so it can only improve, and its very happily singing along at the mo.

Good luck in finding something, selling in the current climate without loosing money is very difficult.

Being serious for a moment (something I work hard to avoid) I'm with the folk who say wait. The room thing is massive, I tried for six years and at least eight grand to make Briks work in my room. A big room- 24X15 feet so it should have been ok. It was not! I'd heard them at a dealer and liked them but my God what purgatory! Innocent they may have been but they had to go.

advertisement

Back