advertisement

What would I gain or lose by moving from PC to Mac

I've never seen the computer but it's in this building.

51009749427_bef6014690_b.jpg

It's a roll-your-own quantum computer, built from bits and bobs — well, cubits and bobs. Maybe Alice, too.

Xhk5kPy.jpg

Joe

Agree with Tony that the future will be computing in the cloud. My laptop is essentially just a device that serves up websites attached mostly to a 27” screen and keyboard. I am not a lightweight user (codes run on hundreds of cores) FWIW.

I think it’s quite funny that Tony is prophesying a cloud based future but is increasingly storing his bits on shiny plastic discs:D

Dan,

I think it’s quite funny that Tony is prophesying a cloud based future but is increasingly storing his bits on shiny plastic discs:D

Bro', it's even more disturbing than that. Tony's discs are 12 inches across, usually black and sorta shiny, but the bits are waiting to be discovered, converted if you will.

Joe

Agree with Tony that the future will be computing in the cloud. My laptop is essentially just a device that serves up websites attached mostly to a 27” screen and keyboard. I am not a lightweight user (codes run on hundreds of cores) FWIW.

The cloud is the new timesharing!

Back in the mid-90’s, Scott McNealy predicted the consolidation of data centers and the growth of cloud. He said that, eventually, a dozen or so huge data centers could serve the entire planet’s needs. Devices would become smarter, but “thinner” (i.e., less reliant on local apps and data). He envisioned a future where access to online services and data was as ubiquitous as access to electricity. Still a ways to go but AFAICT, the trend remains.

I think we are at a crossroads right now. Many organizations still think their DC can provide better security than a cloud provider. But IME, that is changing over time.

Last edited:
Hook,

Many organizations still think their DC can provide better security than a cloud provider. But IME, that is changing over time.

I'm not an expert or nothin', but I think it will hinge partially on how easy it will be to perform oblivious computation on encrypted data. Much data a company stores in a data centre is confidential, private, proprietary or top secret, so they'll want it encrypted. Obviously, encryption is very important if a third-party is storing your bits. But once data is encrypted, it's much harder to do computation on it. Maybe there's something to be said for having your own data centre, assuming your company is big enough to build, run and maintain one.

It was probably easier to keep data safe during the punch card era when encryption meant tripping with your stack of cards while going down the stairs.

Joe

Hook,

I'm not an expert or nothin', but I think it will hinge partially on how easy it will be to perform oblivious computation on encrypted data. Much data a company stores in a data centre is confidential, private, proprietary or top secret, so they'll want it encrypted. Obviously, encryption is very important if a third-party is storing your bits. But once data is encrypted, it's much harder to do computation on it. Maybe there's something to be said for having your own data centre, assuming your company is big enough to build, run and maintain one.

It was probably easier to keep data safe during the punch card era when encryption meant tripping with your stack of cards while going down the stairs.

Joe

Joe, first of all, you are right about card decks. Much harder to steal and/or hack, but much more likely to cause serious falls! :D

Two things to look at with encryption: data at rest and data in motion. The first one was fairly easy to solve. Almost all enterprise storage systems these days have built-in hardware encryption for stored data, but that data often travels unencrypted over an organization's internal LANs. As you said, at some point the data needs to be readable in order to do anything with it. Software encryption at the application level can help with data in motion, but that is only a point solution. Also, with the huge amounts of data being processed and with very firm deadlines for turning that data into useful information, many are not willing to take the cost and/or performance hit of using device-based software-only encryption.

Lastly, the amount of encrypted proprietary data stored in the cloud is huge and growing. For example, a huge number of organizations are using Box or Dropbox and sharing very sensitive files. Tons of confidential conversations are taking place on Slack. I think the train has left the station. I believe the trend away from local DCs and towards outsourcers and cloud service providers remains and, for most, is accelerating. End-to-end encryption has to become ubiquitous.

Thanks for the explanation, Hook.

Likes I said, I'm not an expert or nuthin'* so it's helpful to get a pro's take on where things stand computationally.

Joe

* Well, except for Star Trek and gorillas. There I am a pro.

never had a Windows PC or laptop become non functional. Only time a BSOD was from a faulty video card. Nothing to do with Windows.

My recent procurements (100s of laptops and 1000s of desktops) at work over the last 10 years showed me we had more Apple laptop failures than Windows ones. Our Windows desktop are totally hammered by our students and a failure is rare, and more often than not relates to coffee spilled on a keyboard.

user configurable. All my machines update on a timed basis during downtime setup by me, and I never have an issue.

I'm not about to dispute that, but in over twelve years using a Mac in a live music environment, I've not been let down once. With windows, I've had multiple failures, both on the software and hardware, so I will stick with what's working for me.

As pointed out above, I do still use both platforms regularly, but I use Windows on a Mac, where ironically, it runs well, I've not actually had an issue on any of them (I have three Macs with Windows partitions).

To be honest, disregarding all of the above, I'd still buy a Mac now because I like the fit and finish, the ergonomics and the look and layout of the OS and the effortless integration with other Apple devices... I'm far from an IT guru, so anything that takes effort to set up will annoy me, I want it to work out of the box and Apple stuff does that, albeit with a price premium.

I am disappointed that they've deleted the Touch Bar on new MacBook Pro models, I've gotten quite used to that and it's a useful tool with a lot of DJ software, it'll feel like a kick in the teeth losing it when I come to replace my existing MacBook.

Pretty much this.

My business is supplying IT kit. The only sensible reason to go down the Mac route is if it does something a PC can't, or if there is a specific piece of software you need to run that is only available on Mac (about the only one I can think of is ProTools). Otherwise, a Windows (or other o/s PC or laptop) will do pretty much anything 99% of people need and cost a lot less. There are a great many myths in this perennial debate, mostly propagated by Mac fans, including:

"Macs don't get viruses" - yes they do, hence why anti-virus software is available for them. Most viruses and malware infections come from user error.
"Windows PCs are unstable" - in the days of Windows 95 (and it's descendants Windows 98/Me) and Windows NT maybe, even then they were mostly caused by faulty or not great quality hardware (most commonly RAM and hard drives). Since then Windows has been very stable IME - I have used Windows 10 all day every day since 2016 and can't recall any blue screens. Windows 7 much the same. The Mac users who say this usually then say they haven't used a PC in years.

So as Gintonic says, buy the right tool for the job. Either will be stable.
I can’t recall having a BSOD since the early 00s on a Pentium Three based Toshiba laptop (I remember the machine because it did it frequently), I didn’t think it was still a thing. The issues I’ve had are more to do with software becoming unresponsive for no explicable reason during a gig, it happened, too often and on several machines. I had automatic updates turned off but sometimes a machine wouldn’t work correctly after an update. This is a long time ago now, over 10 years ago because I’ve been using a Mac successfully ever since, so my preference is based on a genuinely better experience rather than faboyism. I have basic, stripped down windows installations on my Apple machines for when the need arises and they have been totally reliable.

I have to admit that a lot of my draw towards Apple products, besides the fact that they’re proven reliable for me, I’d that they’re just nice looking and feeling items. Also, a really nicely put together PC, the kind that you’d use in a professional environment is still expensive, so the cost penalty for a Mac is less significant than it might first appear… you can get a PC for a fraction of the price, but in my experience, it won’t hold up for professional use, they fall apart.

The Dell latitude machine I bought in around 2006 was superb, extremely well put together, and still works perfectly, if a little too slow for professional use now… the reason I stopped using it for gigs, is as I outlined above, software becoming unresponsive, not because of hardware, but because windows was being an arse (technical term).

Hi guys I need to run a windows program on my MBA M1 2020 is there a simple way to run windows 10 on an Arm/Apple silicone laptop?

I'm not keen on parallels and would prefer a no cost option but I believe bootcamp doesn't work with intel based windows?

Thanks

Tony

To the OP wins and losses

The ability to be unbearably smug on any computer thread, to use the phase "windoze" as often as possible, declare that Mac's are soooo much better for creatives and finally claim that Windoze© users spend all their time pretty much unable to switch on their computers due to barrages of viral attacks and BSOD's

On the negative side they are expensive.

To the OP wins and losses

The ability to be unbearably smug on any computer thread, to use the phase "windoze" as often as possible, declare that Mac's are soooo much better for creatives and finally claim that Windoze© users spend all their time pretty much unable to switch on their computers due to barrages of viral attacks and BSOD's

On the negative side they are expensive.
They were very expensive for a long time, when I bought my original MacBook Pro, although it wasn’t really much, if any more expensive than a similarly specified and built windows machine, the entry cost was higher, but they simply didn’t offer low end hardware… then from about 2013 they became disproportionately expensive in hardware terms. I think Apple silicone has turned that on its head though, £900 buys you a properly fast and properly nicely put together machine now. I always thought the Air and the 12” MacBook were underpowered, especially for the price, but that’s no longer the case at all.

Okay, £900 is a chunk of change, but the performance on offer is impressive. If you don’t need that performance, of course there are windows machines and Chromebooks available for much less that’ll suffice for general office duties and web browsing.

I solved the whole Mac/PC conundrum this evening ...

Shelled out for a 10 year old Acer Aspire One (featuring a 10 inch screen and very limited options) on which I will install a pile of penguin poo.

That'll do me for the foreseeable ... (hope the sound card is spot on though)

I'm not about to dispute that, but in over twelve years using a Mac in a live music environment, I've not been let down once. With windows, I've had multiple failures, both on the software and hardware, so I will stick with what's working for me.

As pointed out above, I do still use both platforms regularly, but I use Windows on a Mac, where ironically, it runs well, I've not actually had an issue on any of them (I have three Macs with Windows partitions).

To be honest, disregarding all of the above, I'd still buy a Mac now because I like the fit and finish, the ergonomics and the look and layout of the OS and the effortless integration with other Apple devices... I'm far from an IT guru, so anything that takes effort to set up will annoy me, I want it to work out of the box and Apple stuff does that, albeit with a price premium.

I am disappointed that they've deleted the Touch Bar on new MacBook Pro models, I've gotten quite used to that and it's a useful tool with a lot of DJ software, it'll feel like a kick in the teeth losing it when I come to replace my existing MacBook.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any decent, professional musicians and DJ's using anything other than a Mac in a live environment.

I solved the whole Mac/PC conundrum this evening ...

Shelled out for a 10 year old Acer Aspire One (featuring a 10 inch screen and very limited options) on which I will install a pile of penguin poo.

That'll do me for the foreseeable ... (hope the sound card is spot on though)

I appreciate your attitude, but I spend so much time on computers, they have to be a nice experience for me. My home PC is getting on a bit with an 8th gen i7, but I like the peripherals, a nice screen, keyboard and mouse, all SSD etc. Same for laptops. For me at least the mac laptops are always a good time, can spend hours on them. (Although the keyboard on my 2016 is a travesty) But better on the 2019.

I have a feeling the new trackpad tech coming through for PC, which is force enabled (Like mac) should narrow the gap of usability. It certainly nothing to do with MacOS per say. Interestingly I was listening to a podcast review of the latest from microsoft with the new trackpad. Sadly it sounds like it suffers the very same issue I have had on PC laptops since forever. When doing a click the mouse moves a little bit making you miss the target. Lets hope they fix that.

10 inch ex chrome books running linux will be a shit experience, great if you like punishing yourself.

I hate all trackpads with a vengeance and even when mobile with just a laptop I much prefer using a mouse wherever I can. I do like my laptops to have a decent keyboard though - the Alienware ones are particularly nice and the Lenovo ones are pretty good.

advertisement

Back