advertisement

What will be playing in your own private hell?

I was in hospital a few years ago for a delicate operation which was conducted under a local anaesthetic.

They asked if I minded if the played some music as it helps to calm patients. I said ok.

Most of it was pretty bland but then came the horror...

A C&W cover of 'Mull of Kintyre'.

I still have nightmares about that one.

I was in hospital a few years ago for a delicate operation which was conducted under a local anaesthetic.

They asked if I minded if the played some music as it helps to calm patients. I said ok.

Most of it was pretty bland but then came the horror...

A C&W cover of 'Mull of Kintyre'.

I still have nightmares about that one.

Years ago I used to go to a dentist that had music TV installed in the ceiling to taking your mind off things when the drilling was going on... it was frequently playing C&W :(

TrioVD. I cant believe how awful it is. But I play it in the CD player of the car and occasionally it just gels and I get off on it. It may be me just getting down with the kids mind :)

... it was frequently playing C&W :(

I think it's good they were covering both kinds of music.

2xayse.jpg

Miles Davis, John Coltrane, any jazz of that ilk. Pompous, self- indulgent, see how important I am, repetitive (but in a different key pish).
…. All radio “pop” music pap, with teenagers singing out of tune, in 9 year old voices.

PS. Ah forgot…that fat fool who wears the hat with earflaps and a long silk scarf..
Like he had a voice worth protecting…‍️

Last edited:
Probably Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, The Pet Shop Boys and M People, or the Irish country music so beloved of my dad - Daniel O'Donnell springs immediately to mind.

I hate seeing this comment in this thread.

Every. Single. Time.

Unfortunately, many audiophiles seem to have a mental block when it comes to music. I often feel, Yello being a prime example, that if it didn't sound good as a recording, not one audiophile would listen to it musically. Still, I love Alice Coltrane and Kendrick Lamar, so I do sometimes feel like the only cactus in the desert.

"Blippy" occasionally appears on my Spotify playlist. For those who know this dimension of hell, I salute you.

As in the vacuous American child’s you tube ‘entertainer?’ If so, I feel your pain!

check out his net worth though. Gutted!

Unfortunately, many audiophiles seem to have a mental block when it comes to music. I often feel, Yello being a prime example, that if it didn't sound good as a recording, not one audiophile would listen to it musically. Still, I love Alice Coltrane and Kendrick Lamar, so I do sometimes feel like the only cactus in the desert.

I'm with you: i will often play Alice Coltrane back to back with Kendrick Lamarr or Miles Davis next to Solange. Hip hop / rap R&B is the major musical art form of the last 40 years, at least as important as jazz was in the 50s or blues based rock in the 60s and 70s - and it has lasted longer than either as the most popular form. I think it's quite plausible to make a case that rock and jazz now exist as hermetically sealed heritage forms unless they adopt elements of some of the R&B aesthetic. That's not to say they aren't good ( in places), just treading water as they drift further from the shore.

Frank Ocean's Blonde is firmly embedded in my all time top 20 alongside Kind of Blue, What's Goin' On, Hejira, Horses, Loveless.

I have to keep reminding myself, before accusing others of having close minds, that I find it hard to enjoy almost anything from the heavy metal or prog rock categories although I'm sure if I looked hard enough I might find something not entirely dreadful.

Hell will still be ABBA and Queen on a loop though, maybe playing simultaneously, one in each ear .....

advertisement

Back