advertisement

What will be playing in your own private hell?

Ibiza-type dance music with those awful wailing women vocalists. Makes me feel like we’re doomed as a species and that music is the harbinger of doom. My next door neighbour who’s from Brazil and has erected a massive and hideous favella-type structure in his back garden has been blaring it every bloody day recently because he’s doing DIY, apparently. Why do people have to blare out utter sheit as soon as they go near a toolbox? The council were mending another neighbour’s roof last week and of course we had the obligatory radio blaring out the same type of torture for a few days.

Oh, and when I’ve had enough of that music they’ll play Loving You - Minnie Riperton over and over and over again.

You’re referring to the oeuvre of Stock Aitken and Waterman I suspect.

They were certainly the three horsemen of the musical apocalypse! It was around the time they took over the charts that everything turned to shite and certainly Kylie, Jason, Rick astley etc would be complete room 101 stuff for me.

Worse still though is....well turn on a radio tuned to radio 1 and you'll almost certainly be instantly exposed to it!

It will be some knob with less musical talent than the average dog and no doubt "Feat." some equally talentless second or third "act". It will be utterly dominated by the ubiquitous thump tish thump tish thump tish "four on the floor" kick drum and hi hat which seems to be IDENTICAL on pretty much every track and have usually no more than 3 chords which will be in the most obvious and most over used progression known to mankind.... It will be completely tuneless. The next "song" played will be virtually identical... and the next... and...

I can't decide if a late 90s Dutch gabba rave surrounded by gurning nutters in shell suits might be my own personal hell or whether it would be rather fun...

A screen scrolling through all the cable threads of all HiFi fora joined together and looped. One could never identify where the splice was, though eternally trying to do so.

@Arkless Electronics

I switched over to Radio 1 for 20 seconds about 15 years ago and thought it was some kind of weird joke, Tim Westwood or something.

I know what you mean! And wish it was just some joke that will soon go away...

To really hear how far downhill things have gone try "Pick of the pops" show when one week is from around 1979 and the next week is from around 2007!! They simply play the top 20 from the end of the week in question but from two quite widely spaced years. Last week the first hour had the likes of The Jam, The Damned, Bob Marley, Elvis Costello, Abba, OMD etc etc which were all in that weeks top 20... the next hour was from about 2005 and yep you can guess how dreadful it was anyway, but to hear it straight after the first hour for contrast... OMG!!

Any-no everything by Jonathan King
Mike Batt - bloody Wombles
Chinn & Chapman 70's version of SAW with Smokie ,Suzy Quattro etc
Osmond's -especially Little Jimmy
SAW - a special shout for the Reynolds Girls with "I'd Rather Jack than Fleetwood Mac"
A sharpened pencil hammered into your ear would be preferable

Having to listen to Tony Blackburn,Noel Edmunds ,Bono

I can't decide if a late 90s Dutch gabba rave surrounded by gurning nutters in shell suits might be my own personal hell or whether it would be rather fun...

Thats about as bad as it gets I guess... not music by a long way... merely noises... which if you've had enough speed and ecstasy to stun a horse you may wish to "dance" to...
Now what I REALLY struggle with is that there are people who want to listen to that sort of thing whilst stone cold sober, at home, and reading the paper or doing the ironing etc:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: (or in their car driving up the High St!) at 3pm...

Thats about as bad as it gets I guess... not music by a long way... merely noises... which if you've had enough speed and ecstasy to stun a horse you may wish to "dance" to...
Now what I REALLY struggle with is that there are people who want to listen to that sort of thing whilst stone cold sober, at home, and reading the paper or doing the ironing etc:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: (or in their car driving up the High St!) at 3pm...
Yes, endlessly pounding on and on, repeating the same phrases over and over again can get tedious, I agree.

I've changed my mind. I go for the wrong kind of Fleetwood Mac, just heard something on the radio, completely bland and uninteresting elevator muzak. With ABBA I can at least enjoy winding myself up a bit ;)

All went wrong after Green Manalishi imo.

advertisement

Back