Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What were your upgrades of 2021?

Discussion in 'audio' started by wylton, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Most of Kenwood’s dual mono integrated are very good sounding and probably one of the best sound for the money you can have. They are also built like a tank with components that will last a lifetime.
    Just make sure the output transistors are in good condition as some of them are no longer available.
    Once recapped with new Nichicon or similar quality, they will outperform many today’s integrated.

Miss Ariel and brumjam like this.
  2. wezzywest

wezzywest Hell hath no Fury like a Bitter Remainer.

Went from Rega Brio r, Saturn r and Neat Motive SX2.
    To, Rega ISIS CD player, Exposure 3010S2D amp and Dynaudio Special 40.
    I also bought a pair of Audeze LCD 4 headphones (very good as new/used price) and a Burston Solist x3 headphone amp.
    Sold all my guitars, which raked in £7.5k to pay for it all. And with the leftover cash ordered a new bike. Happy days.

3. hi-fi132

hi-fi132 pfm Member

significantly Downgraded most of the system which freed up a lot of cash to buy more music and enjoy other things in life. Made me a lot happier, like a huge weight lifted. I don't think I could ever go back.

kowalski99, cayorob, Subito and 3 others like this.
  4. KeithL

KeithL pfm Member

AT-440MLA to AT-VM540ML and back to my old Goldring G1042
    KAB TD-1000 damper for my Technics SL1500C
    Integrated amp phono stage to Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE
    Technics SL1500C bundled phono cable to Blue Jeans LC-1

5. Copperjacket

Copperjacket pfm Member

I replaced a Marantz CD85 with a Sony 338esd - a staggering improvement!

6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

see quite a few dynaudio special 40 on eBay. What do you like about them ? Very tempting to dem a pair As loved the 52se in the past

Very much enjoying some Finnish speakers on demo at the moment but those Danish speakers attract as well as another brand from Denmark only available direct

wezzywest likes this.
  7. clap

clap pfm Member

Only second hand cables this year. A MCRU pinnacle high current power lead to feed my regenerator and a MCRU No77 power cable from the regenerator to my mains block. Previously I'd been using Furutech Alpha 3 instead. A superb upgrade.

Then I replaced some Yannis Tome silver interconnects from my pre to my mono blocks with Siltech Classic 550s. Another large step up. Very happy.

A Musicworks Revive mains cable replaced a Furutech Ftps30 cable to my dac. Much better separation and bass.

8. gninnam

gninnam Is it a hobby or a disease

Not so much upgrades as additions ;)
    Tweaked the Orbe.
    Added 2 new TT's, a JVC TT-71 and a SP-10
    Played around with 12 inch arms (a wooden arm and a unipivot arm)
    Tweaked a DL103M (new cantilever and FGS tip)
    Added a BB3 (then tube rolled)
    Changed the rack (to accommodate the extra TT's)
    Tried Roon (and was nonplussed)
    Upgraded Volumio to version 3 and impressed

9. wezzywest

wezzywest Hell hath no Fury like a Bitter Remainer.

Hi, for a small speaker they have outstanding bass and they handle all types of music really well.
    Also they are not fatiguing at all. When I alternated them with my Neat, there was was so much more of everything filling the room. The Neat’s actually seemed a little shrill in comparison.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

AndyCC72 and hifinutt like this.
  10. Gza

Gza pfm Member

Only hifi upgrade I bought this year was a 1210gr with a AT-VM540ML. My old mk2’s have gone into the spare room.

11. AnilS

AnilS pfm Member

I had my hearing aids upgraded to custom moulded ones with a dedicated music setting. :)

Much better but you don't realise how lucky you are until certain things are taken away from you. :(

12. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

Any pictures?

13. Jimbobbyron

Jimbobbyron pfm Member

Darren L, Miss Ariel, TimF and 3 others like this.
  14. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

I'm not sure what I bought when, but my most recent purchase has been a pair of Avalon Ideas to replace the NP 2 from the same manufacturer. Wonderful.
    I think my Accuphase 380 amplifier upgrade was 2021, along with some Musicworks shelves.

Miss Ariel and Robby like this.
  15. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

Looks really cool - is that a sheet of sorbothane between two sheets of ply?

16. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

My only 2021 upgrades were to change my Anatek MC-1 phono stage for an MC-R and an SME 309 for an SME V in my main system.

I also sidelined the Naim Supernait for a Yamaha C-5000/M-5000 combo in my reviewing setup.

17. Jimbobbyron

Jimbobbyron pfm Member

It is indeed

18. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

In one sentence, how would you compare the Supernait to the Yamy pre/amp if I may ask ?

19. Brian Ellis

Brian Ellis pfm Member

I added a Chord Hugo TT2 and m scaler which I am happy with. Not a night and day upgrade but the law of diminishing returns springs to mind so improvements are getting more and more expensive. I am enjoying the music which is what this hobby is all about.

wylton likes this.
  20. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Indeed it is.