advertisement

What were you doing when they landed on the Moon ?

I was 19 and in the middle of loosing my virginity. On the top of Box Hill in the back of a Hillman Imp with the radio on. Armstrong's voice always reminds me, "The Eagle has landed". Too bloody right!

Everyone person alive on July 20, 1969, save for Mike Collins, is in this picture.

EAAt2vCXsAcf3lt.jpg

Joe

50 years on and my lovely blonde girlfriend is now grey haired and I've lost most of my mop.
The bungalow her parents built is no longer in the family and her big sister has passed away.
The world is a more frightening place and on the road to disaster. Not by nuclear war, but by man's misuse of this planet.
I still look up at the Moon sometimes and think back...

I was 19 and in the middle of loosing my virginity. On the top of Box Hill in the back of a Hillman Imp with the radio on. Armstrong's voice always reminds me, "The Eagle has landed". Too bloody right!
I thought you were going to say “and her father knocked on the window with a torch”.

You must have been either a midget or a contortionist, or as I remember Hillman Imps, both!

Well we were both below 5' 6" and we did have the back seat folded down flat.I'm still giggling about her father and the torch.

My father took me duck flighting with his brother and a couple of other fallas. The pools were on some rough land that was spoil from the main runway at a wartime bomber base in very rural Essex. I clearly recall lying on my back in the very small hours and looking at the moon and wondering at the enormity of the fact that there were men there. I was 10, and the only pair of duck that flew in survived. The frisson between the men on the moon and our lonely location at the end of that empty runway to the sky where a quarter of a century before young American pilots, possibly even the same ones, had flown into the same night sky caught my imagination, and there it stayed to this day.

I was two years old, so I was probably riding my tricycle and learning to use a toilet. I mastered the tricycle a long time ago, but...

advertisement

Back