Dead Can Dance - Aion
Led Zeppelin - 1-4
Wings Greatest
The Doors
AyaRL - (Red)
Voo Voo - Voo Voo
King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King
Jesus Christ Superstar

Making it limited to what I heard in 80s only when I started my journey with music.
But The One from the above list was David Bowie - Never Let Me Down.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire
That opened the eyes and a world of possibilities to a 15 yo only exposed to standard pop/rock

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle
I was 13 and bought it from Cyclops Sounds in Birmingham.
My first proper record purchase and I can remember the day clearly some 41 years later.

Roxy Music - Avalon
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

I don't feel either album was each band's finest moment, but they led me directly to their back catalogues, plus Eno, Fripp and other associates.

Talking Heads - More Songs in particular and Roxy eponymous and For Your Pleasure are still desert island favourites.

Trex the Slider for me, wore it out playing over and over whilst off school with illness around 10 years old, moved on to Chuck Berry hits album, still plaY them both regularly and rather than taping off the radio started me looking through relatives albums for stuff I liked and buying less mainstream stuff, still like doing that now

'Piper at the gates of dawn' aged 16 ( although had been a 'casual' record buyer before this) was amazed at the cover and thought 'this has to be good' and by thunder it was, and now much money spent l still feel the same way.:D

The first proper album I bought in summer '77 - after seeing them on TOTP in the famous Fanfare video (in the snow-bound Montreal Olympic stadium) - was ELP's Works album. Not their best of course, but it was a gateway to classical and jazz that I have enjoyed for 45 years. I also loved the Pistols, the Clash and the Stranglers and never really understood why you couldn't like all types of music.

Television's Marquee Moon was another big record for me, new wave guys who played too. Adventure was a huge disappointment and I've always thought Verlaine must have got lucky on the first album. Magazine's Real Life also hinted at that new wave / rock crossover.

Floyd's Animals, Yes' Close to the Edge and ELP's Tarkus, I thought were the pinnacle of art at the time and the last two get an outing every month. Ackerman from Focus has always been my favourite guitarist.

I do remember hearing Blue Monday (in 82?) and thinking this is a new form of music, I loved the Cocteaus and picked up the Tangerine Dream catalogue. My real guilty pleasure has always been hard / heavy rock. So much great music, so many terrible lyrics. I thought UFO, Zep and the rest were brilliant.

Later I entered the Jazz and classical world more seriously and have a large collection of great music - thanks to Keith Emerson!

I try to find new music, but despite my best efforts, I rarely but new releases. There are golden ages of music. For me now isn't one of them, but I keep listening.

Television's Marquee Moon was another big record for me, new wave guys who played too. Adventure was a huge disappointment and I've always thought Verlaine must have got lucky on the first album.

I think folk are a bit unfair to Adventure! Sure, it’s not as strong as Marquee Moon, but it isn’t a bad album at all. It is certainly good enough that it has survived in my collection through countless culls over the years (I’ve got a lovely red vinyl 1st press). I can think of countless bands who fell far further and from a lower starting point!

Dr. Feelgood - Down By The Jetty.
This would be my main "keystone" album. Saw them on Thursday the 13th of February 1975, on the Naughty Rhythms tour at Cheltenham Town Hall. Friday was back to school and the album was purchased on Saturday morning. Saw them twice more that year but as with a lot of things, the first time was the most memorable.
The Clash - The Clash.
Another "keystone" album and although I didn't get to see them until the following year down in Bristol, it was worth the wait. Probably the most intense gig I ever went to.
Those were the days...

I think folk are a bit unfair to Adventure! Sure, it’s not as strong as Marquee Moon, but it isn’t a bad album at all.

It suffers simply from being the album after 'Marquee Moon'. It does have 'Foxhole' on it which is as strong as anything on its predecessor.

It suffers simply from being the album after 'Marquee Moon'. It does have 'Foxhole' on it which is as strong as anything on its predecessor.

I think I bought Foxhole on 12 inch red vinyl before the album came out - saw them play it on OGWT I think. Brilliant! I'll give the album another listen today.

Ps Akkerman of course- bloody autocorrect.

A ketstone? That one moment that defined everything else?
Probably Incredible String Band's 'Wee Tam and The Big Huge', when I realised that there was music so extraordinary that I might find it picked me up and placed me down 'somewhere else'.

It was pretty much all set off by album tracks heard on Alan Freeman's Saturday Show around 1974/5;

Brain Salad Surgery by ELP, from hearing Karn Evil 9
Made in Japan and In Rock by Deep Purple, from hearing Child in Time
Starless and Bible Black by King Crimson, from hearing Great Deceiver
Truth by Jeff Beck, from hearing I Ain't Superstitious
Live Cream Vol II from hearing Tales of Brave Ulysses
Led Zep 4 from hearing Rock 'n' Roll

Some filtered in via singles; Nazareth's Loud 'n' Proud from their single cover of This Flight Tonight, Free's Fire and Water from All Right Now. Argent, via Hold Your Head Up and God Gave Rock 'n' Roll ...

A number of albums bought from Top 100, or "Hear This Before You Die" lists in magazines became "Anti-Keystone" albums.

Just had Rage Against.... on the tt for two months straight. Played it so often I’d scratched the absolute fu*k out of it (not always sober listening to records). Actually felt something like sugar withdrawals thinking it might be unobtainium. Lucky there’s a 180g remaster $$$ but ordered it anyways. I guess that counts.

advertisement

Back