advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

20230405-141805.jpg

I don't really know how this compares these days nor can I remember how my Thorens used to sound years ago in different systems. - I am not planning to return to extensively collecting vinyl for practical reasons so this will do and a rotating number of 50 records of what I really want seems about right.

I’ve just bought another turntable - a pleasant but unremarkable low end JVC L-F210 direct drive.

DYhyGqM.jpg

Reason? Because of what was sitting on the platter in another picture. This is a widget that Tandy used to sell - you sit on your spindle, point a spotlight at and revel in the crazy disco light effects as the record spins!

I saw one in the Tandy catalogue as a child and trotted off onto buy one with my birthday money one day. I arrived at the store to be told it had just been discontinued and they had no more available. That was over 30 years ago and I’ve never seen one since, until now!

WTzfp8T.jpg

Anyone want to buy a nice JVC starter turntable?

Original Linn Index speakers - (for garden room) - to replace some Arcam Two's that my son decided to push too far with drum and bass and now they "rattle".... Was very pleasantly suprised how good they are. Remember when buying my first HiFi, I listened to them, Heybrook HB1 and JPW AP3 - went for the JPWs on cost grounds, and their efficiency (I had an Ion Obelisk 2 amp - only about 25w)...

How are you finding the Wiim Pro. If it’s going into the same DAC is there any difference in sound quality?

Cheers BB

Well, I do think I can hear a difference but that may well be because I had the digital only setting and a Teddy Pardo TTouch power supply connected to the Touch. I need to swap it back in to compare. As the TTouch is 5v I should be able to run the Wiim with it albeit with an adaptor or custom cable. Playing through Teddy Dac Coax and JVC AX-Z1010TN onboard K2 Dac Optical.

Great little amplifier, especially at it's current heavily discounted price. I haven't tried the phono stage on mine yet as it is currently out of rotation.

Very impressed with it!

I was going to for a 2nd hand Cyrus 8DAC but TBH they were working out at more 2nd hand than a brand new Cyrus One Cast; so it made a lot of sense; more so as I got the R3s at a superb price too :)

They're a gorgeous finish too

advertisement

Back