advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

A very nice chap asked me if I’d like his parents’ old music system, as it was getting a bit flaky reading CDs and they didn’t really use it any more.

It would have been rude to refuse, I feel…

yPKROks.jpg

A very nice chap asked me if I’d like his parents’ old music system, as it was getting a bit flaky reading CDs and they didn’t really use it any more.

yPKROks.jpg
IIRC there is one small cap buried under the CD mechanism that causes a majority of flaky CD behavior. You might be good with just replacing that! Then again, all the caps in it are getting close to 40 years old.

I bought a beautiful 9500 for $400 last year that came with mint brushed aluminum CX100s. I replaced the noisy relay in the 9500 and sold it for $400. I kept the free CX100s!

IIRC there is one small cap buried under the CD mechanism that causes a majority of flaky CD behavior. You might be good with just replacing that! Then again, all the caps in it are getting close to 40 years old.

I bought a beautiful 9500 for $400 last year that came with mint brushed aluminum CX100s. I replaced the noisy relay in the 9500 and sold it for $400. I kept the free CX100s!

Yes, I know about the cap and it’ll be my first port of call. I’ll be keeping this one to go with the Beolab Pentas I’m refurbishing!

Reactions: RoA

yPKROks.jpg
Nice one Adam. Be careful with door mechanism. You will need new belts and Martin doesn’t have them.

Theta digital DaVid cd / dvd transport. Managed to snag this at last knockings on auction for 250 recently. Eons old but a superb performer, will enjoy it as long s it lasts !

Picked up a very clean Rotel RCD-955 CD Player with TDA1541 goodness inside. Powers up, reads discs instantly and plays without issue. Hope I can get some use out of it before the mech downs tools.

Bought on a whim for purely nostalgic reasons really, I had an 855 as my first proper CD player some 30 years ago and I distinctly remember the huge step up from the Marantz CD40 I had before it.

And my Exposure amp remote works with it too which is a nice bonus.

As an update to this, the Rotel has been working hard this past weekend, it's really rather good. Has opened up a TDA1541A rabbit hole on the tinterweb for me :rolleyes:

Well Tempered Simplex with a Hana SL.

So not needed as have a decent LP12 but I fancy a play. Thanks to Chris Marshall!

Also AVI ADM9T’s. Despite the Ashley James nonsense, they are a cracking speaker, just add a source (Wiim Mini).

Audiolab m-Dac plus, works great with my Innuos zen mini mk3, worthwhile upgrade over the built-in DAC! Now wondering if I should think about upgrading my amp…….

I bought a pair of Koss Dynamite M/80 at the car boot, seduced by American walnut woodwork. Late 70s or early 80s.
Like these.
koss_m80_plus_bookshelf_speakers_1530960270_e29003f3.jpg

Just put them up against a pair of Genexxa LX pro, though, and they have been vanquished - shame, as they look great. Maybe I should try if they can be improved.

advertisement

Back