advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

I’ve had a Kondo M7 preamp, which has a built-in phono stage, for years. I’ve had an itch to hear the M7 as a line stage with a stand-alone Kondo M7 Phono to see how much better it is. I went along to Definitive Audio to find out. M7 used as a line preamp with standalone M7 Phono was much better. M7 used as a line preamp with the new SJS Electroacoustics Model 6 phono stage, even better. Kevin had a used Kondo M7 Line stage preamp, so we tried that instead of using the M7 with built-in phono. (Kondo’s preamp naming is very confusing, I realise!). M7 Line with SJS Model 6, best of all. So now I’ve traded in my M7 for an M7 Line and bought an SJS Model 6 phono. I’ve always loved the magic produced by the classic Kondo products, but SJS is now a serious contender.

I bought another fm tuner last week. After I rebuilt my shelving system my old Pioneer tuner just looked awkward sitting next to my cd transport. A chap at work offered me an Arcam Alpha 5 for twenty quid so I bought it and I’m quite pleased with it :)

I’ve had a Kondo M7 preamp, which has a built-in phono stage, for years. I’ve had an itch to hear the M7 as a line stage with a stand-alone Kondo M7 Phono to see how much better it is. I went along to Definitive Audio to find out. M7 used as a line preamp with standalone M7 Phono was much better. M7 used as a line preamp with the new SJS Electroacoustics Model 6 phono stage, even better. Kevin had a used Kondo M7 Line stage preamp, so we tried that instead of using the M7 with built-in phono. (Kondo’s preamp naming is very confusing, I realise!). M7 Line with SJS Model 6, best of all. So now I’ve traded in my M7 for an M7 Line and bought an SJS Model 6 phono. I’ve always loved the magic produced by the classic Kondo products, but SJS is now a serious contender.

be interesting to try the sjs pre with it too

Dunno if it’s “quite” hifi?, I bought the new Dunu Vulkan with 6 drivers, two piggybacked 8 mm dynamic drivers and 4 balanced armatures, first few days I was massively underwhelmed with the bass response and overall sound despite trying at least 6 different tips. I think the problem is that the bore extension is rather short yet the iem itself is a rather chunky monkey so getting a good seal in my ear canal with standard tips was problematic and the iem often felt loose. Finally tried a couple of silicone tips that resemble the shape of foam comply tips and wow, that’s it! :D. Very solid sub bass that I was looking for and there’s absolutely no chance the Vulkans can pop out, not as good as my 7hz timeless for overall resolution but perfect for a listen to sub bass focused techno/electronic.

52252132063_da3ff7fcf2_k.jpg

52251141967_462dd4511d_k.jpg

Looks interesting. How did you find (out about) it?
In my country it is a known brand, although not much. In France, logically, it is highly acclaimed and serious. They have been putting very interesting products on the market for 3-4 years, with very good internal and external designs, high-quality components and, above all, finishes and assembly. I think it has little to do with the past. The IN200 Signature integrated amplifier is very good, so are the streamers and DACS. The DAC300 is already something very serious and very good.

Sorry for my level of English, it's not good.

Ifi zen stream & zen dac signature. Really impressed with them. trialling Roon which is superb, but tidal connect sounds great too, so maybe save a few quid by using connect instead.

I’ve been streaming for about a year and enjoy Qobuz esp. the hi-res albums. But I was missing CDs so have just added a used Pro-ject RS2 CD T transport. It’s connected via coax to the Naim Atom. It’s the best CD replay I’ve had. Great service from Marc @FanthorpesHifi
Would like to try one of those one day, love the small form factor, and the saucepan lid.

Not Hi-Fi but picked up a pair of Cambridge Audio Melomania 1+ Wireless Earbuds. Bang for buck at £49.95 they’re tremendous value. I got them for holiday but I reckon I’ll use them quite a lot.

No wonder kids aren’t interested in Hifi when you can achieve quality like this from a phone.

Cheers BB

Due to not being able to source Nagoaka MP-150 and MP-200 stylus I decided to give MC a try again and bought a Goldring Ethos. Just after buying a MM only phono only this year, so out came the Bent Audio step ups from long term storage and back into service, which can be tricky to earth and remove hum but OK this time so far. Very smooth. Not an in your face sound, which the MM carts could be, although always an involving and punchy listen. The Ethos seems a little treble rolled off, although improving after a number of sides and more natural than the Nags. Need to do some tracking weight and VTA fine tuning.

Another returner, the Townshend Allegri+ that went, and came back, with the A21. The selector switch came apart in the post, it was sent back to Townshend, who said it was complicated to fix and didn't even look at it! It took about 3 weeks for them to send it back to me and 30 minutes for me to fix it. I had refunded the buyer, and I will now keep it.
This was what happened to it; how hard would it have been for them to fix?
52256323074_74b1bd3df9_z.jpg

Fostex t50rp headphones. My first at-home experience with planer magnetic drivers. I fear this may lead to planar magnetic speakers (evil grin).
gi.mpl

A nice, old, but recently serviced NAC42 from a fellow fishy, just need to find a NAP140 or NAP180 to go with it now but am being a bit picky with condition......

Bought (again) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm Headphones. For PC duties.

I just love these fun sounding cans.

I understand the 770s are flawed and some people like to eq them. Maybe I’m an outlier or tone deaf, but I love their stock sound.

No desire to alter/improve the sound.

S.

advertisement

Back