advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Timewarp pair of Kef 104/2s bought as a bundle locally off e bay with a John Shearne power amp (already sold here) and a NVA pre-amp, which I am keeping.

Owned by one guy since new, sold to me by his grandson who had them in storage for 4 years. Never played loud and very obviously looked after. Thought they would need new donuts and ferrofluid before I could think about using them, but they play fine and the donuts, amazingly, seem good. They owe me £250. Which feels like a Billy bargain. Got lucky, though, as the photos were rubbish and I could have been getting anything.

Neat SX2, thought I'd try them. Lasted 2 weeks, they have a thin reedy presentation, which accentuates percussion, and so give an almost false presentation of the music. Have stuck with my Audio Note Js, which I've been using for 2 years with an excellent Audio Innovations S500, and now using with a Sugden A21a, which is good with them as well.

As it turns out, iPhone 12 mini. The more ambitious I get with plugging some very expensive things into it, the better it sounds. Completely unexpected.

As it turns out, iPhone 12 mini. The more ambitious I get with plugging some very expensive things into it, the better it sounds. Completely unexpected.
Not really surprised at your findings.
I've had quite musical results with 320-mp3 files from the headphone output of my iPhone 8 playing through a friend's "cast-offs" system.

I've been really impressed with using an iPad with Apple Music, looks like the USB out adjusts to the sample rate of the music you are listening to on iOS/iPadOS so no resampling.

Thorens TD 115 + 110, Cambridge Azur 640P, NA Interspace tonearm, Paradise phono stage, Tron Convergence Signature MM, panzerholz, Decca Super Gold, and (still waiting to see if it is for real) Thorens TD 135.

Naim NAP 110 with Avondale power supply and NCC 200 boards from a member here.......

This little black box pushes away in the dark the following amps: stock Naim NAP 110, 160BD and Musical Fidelity P170.

Unbelievable !

I forgot! A near mint Quad 606 Mk II off t'bay and an AVI NuNeutron and MJ Pro 50 2.1 speaker system I paid the grand total of £160 from Facebook Marketplace.

Pending an Amplabs service of the 606/34, I'm done for a while.

A s/h Naim Unitiqute, but that was about 6 years ago... :rolleyes: Been HiFi-systemless ever since. (due to various reasons)
Currently only using a s/h Sonos Connect hooked up to a Marshall Stanmore amp. (only doing duty for background music every now and then)

Lately though, the HiFi-virus seems to have gotten me. I'm missing the musical involvement that a nice HiFi setup can bring, so, hopefully within the next few months... :rolleyes::)

A s/h Naim Unitiqute, but that was about 6 years ago... :rolleyes: Been HiFi-systemless ever since. (due to various reasons)
Currently only using a s/h Sonos Connect hooked up to a Marshall Stanmore amp. (only doing duty for background music every now and then)

Lately though, the HiFi-virus seems to have gotten me. I'm missing the musical involvement that a nice HiFi setup can bring, so, hopefully within the next few months... :rolleyes::)
Welcome back alco, hope all is well.

An old Musical Fidelity P270 in working order from the excellent Simon at Hifi Sound at Darlington. I've wanted one for years.
Simon is as affable as ever. I was one of his first customers when I spotted his eighth-of-a-page ad in the back of hifi world. He's never let me down since and never forgets my name either. Strongly recommended.

Had my LP12 serviced, so new springs, mat and a few other bits. Deck definitely sounds better after some TLC from John K @ Audio-T Brighton.

advertisement

Back