advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Latest purchase and an itch that l needed to scratch- a Pink Triangle Export GTI, ( True Point Audio bits) purchased from this very forum..... sounds blooming good, not quite how l imagined the sound to be though- insane bass response, dynamics and very energetic with low colouration.:D

- Yamaha EQ-M77 graphic equaliser (for system completeness!)

- Yamaha PF-800 turntable. This is what Yamaha sold in the UK and Europe in the early 1980s whilst giving the rest of the world the GT-2000 and linear tracking PX-1/2/3 direct drive models. It’s belt drive and has a three point suspended subchassis (funny that…) and I’ve fancied trying one for ages.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-PF-1000.html

Three IsoAcoustic Orea Indigos, since I changed my CDT a month or so back and the new one is too heavy for the Graphites (which are now sold).

A Philips N2254 cassette deck. A wonderful machine.

philips_n2554_600px.png

Root and branch overhaul of my LP12 with a Karousel bearing, Kore, Lingo 4 and Trampolin 2. I appear to have acquired a new record collection as well!!

Soncoz SGD1 balanced DAC from Keith at Purite Audio a few months back. Very pleased. Bluetooth implementation is really good.

Got a Digione Sig on the way. Already find the Digione jaw-droppingly good but I’m worth the extra expense :)

2 pairs of Nordost Tyr 2 (1m XLR)

Between DAC, pre and power - to my ears money well spent (as I run for the fall-out shelter) :)

They replaced Analysis Plus Silver Oval 1n (also XLR) - nice for the price but...

Last edited:
So very jealous, I would happily buy a set blind in the expectation they are superb! Very happy F-208 user (for the time being). Enjoy, and please do write about them?

Hello ABC,

Thanks for the kind words.

The Salons have very low coloration levels, low distortion - no doubling - deep bass down to a real 20 Hz in room, and can play loud enough without distorting, 105 dB + on orchestral music, to drive you out of the room. They are genuine all rounders and true full range speakers that don’t need assistance from subwoofers in order to reproduce the full frequency spectrum. Lastly, they have very broad dispersion, which many other high end speakers don’t have, not even the newer Revel 328Be. I personally like this because it gives a wonderful sense of ‘envelopment’ without having to resort to multichannel. They are best used with a high power amp, 200+ W can be easily handled by these speakers. Despite being a 13 year old design, they meet my requirements very well.

If you’d like to learn more about these speakers, see also the soundstagehifi.com review. The soundstage proprietor uses a pair as his reference speakers as do some writers for stereophile.

Rumours are that this model is being discontinued due to production costs - Harman has not increased the price since it’s introduction in 2007 - and no replacement is planned.

Hope this short report gives a sense of what I think of these speakers. Expensive, well into five figures, but worth every penny as far as I am concerned.

Edit: https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/reference-components/100-
recommended-reference-component-revel-ultima-salon2-loudspeakers

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/revel_ultima_salon2/

Last edited:
Not that I need it, but price was too good to refuse - 79/80 LP12 Ittok LV II and a blown Valhalla. Last week I got chrome bumper 62/90. Perfect flat earth system with the minstrels I have squirreled away? :)

advertisement

Back