advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

A pair of these:
EE8-A4-C12-85-DA-45-F7-8422-09890-ACFF6-E9.jpg

Details here: https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/608revel/index.html

Beomaster 8000 receiver, Beocord 8004 cassette deck, Beolab Pentas and Beovox RL140s.

Just an update on these:
- Beocord 8004: belts baggier than Nora Batty's tights
- RL140s: work but one midrange driver somewhat 'rustly' - it may well need a re-foam.
- Pentas: midranges need re-foaming. All eight of them. As I also have a pair of the passive Beovox Pentas with the same issue, that's SIXTEEN midranges I need to re-foam!
- Beomaster 8000: powers up but no sound and no internal relay clicks. Oh dear... :(

Some superb exotic cables courtesy of Van Damme for a breathtaking fee off £25 for two pairs. I’m such a cheapskate nowadays.What happened to those days of excess and upgrade heaven?

Hi Robby
Which DACs did this beat to make it onto your rack?

Quick story - a friend of mine borrowed a LAB12 DAC1 Reference that I went to listen to against a PS Audio Directstream. We both agreed the LAB12 was better than the PS Audio in many ways - detail, soundstage, tone and "realism". Vocals were incredible.

He then borrowed an Aqua La Scala and we compared all three (I had bought the DAC1 SE in the intervening period) and so we compared all three over a long evening. The La Scala was, to our ears, the superior DAC. The soundstage was a little deeper and tonally it was a little richer than either of the LAB12 DAC's and a touch more transparent. Delineation of instruments was a little clearer.

My DAC against the other two was very close. It shares the same sound signature as the Reference as described above. The main difference I felt was the soundstage wasn't quite as wide but I felt the SE did slightly better on vocals.

I have bounced around a few DAC's over the past 18/24 months: Audio Note DAC 0.1x, Schiit Bifrost 2, Schiit Gungnir Multibit and an RME ADI-2 FS. The LAB12 is easily better than all of them and I would suggest competes with DAC's up to around £5k if the PS Audio is anything to go by.

Hope this helps.

Looks like mcru sold out of them ,not a bad price at 2295 . I guess not remote controlled like the rme?

Not remote controlled - nothing to remotely control to be fair........

They were a bargain at £2,295. MCRU believes they are one of the best DAC's up to £10k.

Thanks Robby
There was a glowing review of the Lab12 on HiFi Pig some months ago, so it’s on my radar for when I decide /have the funds to upgrade.

Sort of a tie - I purchased the Audio Note M6 Phono Preamp in ~ September but waited 6 months for it to arrive - hand-built and pandemic get in the way.

In December, I bought the Wyred4Sound mAmp monoblocks and it took 3 days to arrive. So they're the last thing I purchased but the M6 was the last thing to get into my system.

3275706-21781dbb-wyred-4-sound-mamps-silver.jpg

20200628_152133.jpg.a76c9ce3a6bc584cddba7dc9d72de3ea.jpg

1377008-audio-note-m6-line-preamp-balanced-black.jpg

2019227_102338_IFZEIQ.jpg

Sort of a tie - I purchased the Audio Note M6 Phono Preamp in ~ September but waited 6 months for it to arrive - hand-built and pandemic get in the way.

In December, I bought the Wyred4Sound mAmp monoblocks and it took 3 days to arrive. So they're the last thing I purchased but the M6 was the last thing to get into my system.

3275706-21781dbb-wyred-4-sound-mamps-silver.jpg

20200628_152133.jpg.a76c9ce3a6bc584cddba7dc9d72de3ea.jpg

1377008-audio-note-m6-line-preamp-balanced-black.jpg

2019227_102338_IFZEIQ.jpg
I like the made in the USA exclamation mark!

I like the made in the USA exclamation mark!

I was wholly impressed by their speed - I paid via Paypal - they shipped I think from California on Dec 3 and it got to me December 7th (and Hong Kong is a day ahead). The black Friday sale was also very good - $999 down to $649 each. I almost went with Parasound amps and I am glad I, instead, took the gamble on the Class D. I heard and liked Wyred4Sound at audio shows but it was my editor who convinced me to go this route as he is running Wyred4sound on his Soundlab speakers.

PS: Nothing wrong with Parasound but unlike in the USA, the warranty coverage is only a year in Hong Kong for some reason while it's 5 years I believe in the west.

I also think they would be excellent for folks who own campers - they're so small and light and powerful. You can bring them along with their Pre and perhaps add some wall-mounted speakers. Sure can't do any of that with my bigger system.

advertisement

Back