advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Naim Nait XS2 second hand in mint condition.

I just fancied trying one , especially now as they provide a choice of RCA and Din inputs, the thing is that I wanted a headphone amp but also wanted a back up,/ alternative amp to my Puresound 2a3 .
Wasn't sure how it would work with my LV avatars and P10 Phono stage and Hitachi speaker cable.
Well it works just fine and sounds great.
In fact I really like it a lot, it's a cracking good amp.

An Ortofon Cadenza Black from a spiffing chap on here. :)

And a boxed, mint, unused Vestax PDX-8000 turntable. I should never have sold the one I had - I will not be making the same mistake twice!

I bought an Anthem MCA225 Gen 2, and I am rather smitten. I wasn't expecting it to be so big (But hey, I'm very much a fan of large black lumps of audio goodness), but got it as a 3 year old amp at just under half RRP, and amp currently having a great deal of fun swearing and being a carmudgeon whilst dialling in the subs again.

I could DIRAC and have it all done automatically, but where's the fun in that?

A Burson Conductor Virtuoso 2+ DAC/preamp/headphone amp. Currently doing DAC and preamp duty in my system and sounding quite nice.

After a hefty hiccup when the dealer sent a 7 year old badly-bodged example rather than the one advertised, this lovely thing arrived today - basically BNIB for ex-dem ££££

AudioValve Eclipse SE Reference - and it's spot-on in every way, most especially sonically: great match with the First Watt J2 power amp.

y4m2ALDHH7dPM4qaHnC4p0y-emRqyQFrVjU_OIrm0Pd4dmaV5zb0awzj6MAdjUS4LCQNJwsHV3xzTXcVPAvEpZ-YZqKoNUoTJa_7SLEMhNaf1VByTNBLc0VITMVEoqWiyIY4gFJHSeeLwSZuVMsCR7CYKhZ0XWfDuqa7LoFPBLrsc_NKy9HBYUI5CfUR5-437tb

Best-sounding pre-amp I've ever had - bar none, and that's before I've had a chance to roll the ECC82s...
good to hear , we hear very little about these pre amps . Do they have remote control?

... Do they have remote control?

A very excellent burglar-club of machined alloy that works no matter where it's pointed.

It has its idiosyncrasies - most notably different input impedances on each input, and it is very sensitive to valve-rolling (a first for me), but beyond that it continues to sound excellent (even better with top-notch valves). Very pleased with it.

A bespoke hi-fi/AV stand built by a local furniture maker. Not a spike in sight, but I may play around a bit with vibration isolation like isoacoustics pucks at some point.

A pair of Coherent modded Bel Canto Ref1000M mono-blocks. Looking forward to taking delivery of them once the seller recovers from his cold..!

Pathos Classic One integrated and Audio Physic Tempo 35 this very day. A toss up between the AP and Focal Kanta 2. Yet to set them up. Sounded great in the shop so fingers crossed. Got exchange options if the room proves problematic.
Edit - Tempo 35 sounding great on the end of Mytek Brooklyn Amps. Expecting something different from the Pathos. Better would be nice :)

Last edited:
Happy with them?

Sadly no! They're basic stackables that are good enough to prove a viable solution to a problem I'm having, but I'll be getting some better constructed items for the future. They'll be going on some expensive cables that are extremely well made, I see no point of leaving them terminated with flimsy crap.

advertisement

Back