advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Wow, can’t go wrong with these. Would you mind giving us your comments after a few listening sessions ? Just by curiosity.........

Yeah will do Gervais.
A mate has a pair of 1.7i's in his system and they just sound so natural and easy on the ear.Hes helping me set them up which is perfect and expect some run in for a week or two.

A quad 99 pre off the 'bay. I wasn't expecting much to be honest, just a competent pre, in the same vein as my quad 34. But I wanted remote control and not just a motorized Alps pot. Well now it's installed, I have to say this sounds wonderful. It's partnering a Quad 520f and sounds sublime.

Last edited:
I've bought a pair of JPW Mini Monitors. I have a pair of Gold Monitors with a quiet mid-woofer and the only way of getting a replacement is by cannibalizing other speakers with the same part.

I gave the MMs a blast before I popped a driver out for the defective Gold. TBH they sounded very nearly as good as the Golds! With the tweeter frames swapped for the round style, they'd even look better. The Golds, with their big square tweeter frame, are truly FN fugly!

I'd really love a pair of Proac Tab 10s. Unfortunately, a possible windfall to make a new purchase is now right off the table, although I'm keeping an eye out for used ones (rarely - if ever - available). Meanwhile the JPWs (any of the three models I have!) are the best small speakers in my collection by a long distance and will make a fine second best for the time.

I've bought a pair of JPW Mini Monitors. I have a pair of Gold Monitors with a quiet mid-woofer and the only way of getting a replacement is by cannibalizing other speakers with the same part.

I gave the MMs a blast before I popped a driver out for the defective Gold. TBH they sounded very nearly as good as the Golds! With the tweeter frames swapped for the round style, they'd even look better. The Golds, with their big square tweeter frame, are truly FN fugly!

I'd really love a pair of Proac Tab 10s. Unfortunately, a possible windfall to make a new purchase is now right off the table, although I'm keeping an eye out for used ones (rarely - if ever - available). Meanwhile the JPWs (any of the three models I have!) are the best small speakers in my collection by a long distance and will make a fine second best for the time.

I have a few spare drivers if you need them, a small donation to PFM will be appreciated.

Just bought an IsoTek Mini Sub GII power conditioner. Should arrive in the next few days.

Not sure if it will make much odds but it was cheap and I won't lose any cash if it's crap.

Gone a bit crazy after been in hospital most o summer, sold quite a few pricey nos tubes, and various cables to fund.
Also diff to spend cash in hospital and on prescription diet at home so minimal outgoings at present. Don’t drink, smoke, or even eat for long periods, like many people I’m in isolation so few outgoings.

Few upgrades, to big rig;
Ansuz s/h a2 Ethernet cable, switch to dac, cyrus psx r2 for fmx tuner ,huge upgrade (really good price), custom order for kimber (rca to xlr as more xlr on amp than rca) silver streak I/c cable, from tuner to amp.
3 Stillpoints ultras 2 under Brinkmann Bardot, s/h half price.
Tube distinctions mains filter, fab on switch and router, again half price.
Stillpoints s/h mini under chord EE switch. 60% off.

Retro treat , starting second system as want mono option to hear mono done proper, period accurate. Or close at least.
Getting Refurbed Lenco GL78, new bearing,double heavy platter, big ply plinth, mono cartridge. Will be meeting seller in two weeks to pickup so not seen in flesh, that treat yet to happen
Quad, recapped 33\303\tuner. (Next year may get esl63) again yet to see but confident people involved are cool.

And finally got electrician to finish three radial spurs, (tradesman are hard to find and I’ve been on isolation ward) 1 digital, 1 analogue , 1 av and router.
Using gigawatt fully shielded copper in wall cable, fully tested and given landlords certificate. final inspection Tuesday.

So all in many big tweeks and lots of foo, I’m sure the flat earthers will have smoke pouring out of ears.
looking forward to everything bedding in, but most anticipating quad, Lenco rig, will start off using little pro ac Hexa s , esl63 next year maybe. Getting close to proper mono.
Beatles ‘help’ I’ve got few pressings , my all time fave single by anyone, it’s going on first, Roy Orbison second.

Feel like kiddy at Xmas, next two weeks are going to be fab, as many of these upgrades were started or planned ages back (year+) but health and COVID suck. Also been saving pension for what seems like years, good thing I stashed the nos tubes.

Really stoked, been crazy year.

Selling my 104 as noisy when tuning, and my Cyrus fmx with psx r2 is superb, really musical and full of energy.
104 works but scratchy when in use, needs good clean and recap.
Cost me peanuts, any one who fancies a freebie project just drop me a line, maybe a small donation to charity to cover post, or collect and it’s yours.

advertisement

Back