advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

I recently bought the Massdrop HD6xx (supposedly 650s) and can confirm they are lovely. Balanced and easy to listening to, not over emphasised in any area. They can certainly turn out bass when needed but don’t make it tiring as some cans can :rolleyes: IMO, and probably more interestingly John Darko’s, they are fabulous vfm.

Thanks, yes, the Massdrop do seem quite a bargain, good to know of your experience.

Nice! Sounding good?

Sounding great. :) I'm a big believer in stuff that I like the sound of, rather than which is supposed to be in some way "correct". I'm sure they roll off or whatever at so many hz that they're not supposed to, but I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons (obviously not the only one) they're so enduringly popular is that they sound nice to humans in small rooms. :)

Picked up this Rega set up as I wanted a donor for some parts, bonus was it came with a fono MM and the TT PSU so by the time I've cannibalised it it shouldn't have cost me anything. Couldn't resist having a listen as it came with an Elys 2 as well, doesn't sound as bad as I thought.

Heath Robinson set up on an Lack from the spare room.

Just bought a used Naim Supernait 2 on t'bay. Bit of an impulse buy though have been thinking of trying one out for a while now. Wanted an integrated amp to cut down on cable clutter a tad and tidy the system up a bit, and fancied trying Naim again (ex 12/160 and 72/140 owner). Anticipate that I'll likely need a DC 'trap' thing as we have DC on the mains here and toroids like to toroid, but touch wood and all that. Looking forward to receiving it.

Just bought a used Naim Supernait 2 on t'bay. Bit of an impulse buy though have been thinking of trying one out for a while now. Wanted an integrated amp to cut down on cable clutter a tad and tidy the system up a bit, and fancied trying Naim again (ex 12/160 and 72/140 owner). Anticipate that I'll likely need a DC 'trap' thing as we have DC on the mains here and toroids like to toroid, but touch wood and all that. Looking forward to receiving it.
A 12/160 combo is hard to beat in terms of musicality............

low-level musical details, ambient cues, tonal shading, vocal-intelligibility, instrument separation, &c are all rendered better, more clearly, more distinctly. It's not a "this picture is prettier than that picture" thing, it's more believable music, closer to what was recorded, but not at the cost of excruciatingly forensic fidelity.

That describes exactly how I feel about the DIY VFET. I was about to try it with ESL57s, but instead am forced to seek diagnosic hints elsewhere.

I bought the Zen Dac to go with my Beyerdynamics DT 990 250 Ohm via lap top. Lovely solution for better quality play back in all musical genres:)

Not 'hifi' as such but some new (to me) pre-owned longer 6m loudspeaker cables and longer 4m subwoofer cable to let me set up my system in our temporary rental.

Bought a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1's recently and value for money is amazing they sound fantastic not fussy on placement and look really nice to boot.

Considering all you need is a pre & source and your ready to rock (or jazz reggae funk or whatever you fancy they sound great.
How did you have these setup? Been thinking of having them for a nearfield midfield setup for music and gaming.

Reactions: MVJ

advertisement

Back