advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

I gave my old Beresford TC-7510 to someone last night who required a decent DAC of some description. He was all smiles this morning, so that's his latest bit of kit.

I recently replaced my SOTM sms-200 Neo SE with a Metrum Acoustics Ambre Roon end point. The SOTM Eunhasu software was getting on my nerves so now that I use Roon it was a no brainer. Plus I now have i2s connectivity with my Aqua DAC.

Just got a Chord C-Digital rca co ax cable and bnc adaptor to by-pass my mimik dac. and ordered my katalyst upgrade.

Being configured this week - Synology 420 NAS for Roon with extra 4gb RAM, 120gb ssd for the Roon core and 4tb ssd for the music. And two bays available for when the 4tb ssd is full. Took delivery of the external back up HD for that this weekend.
Also on their way - Nordost H.2 ethernet cable, Tyr 2 BNC cable and a set of Sort Kones for the dCS clock.

Digital sorted :)

Within a month I've acquired a Gato Audio DIA-400 (original model), Arcam DT91 tuner, and a very tired old Audio Note UK DAC 1.1S - the GATO was intended to cure my neurotic fear of assorted valve amps self-immolating on switch-on, while the two sources have both added a pleasing 'organic' fruitiness to the Gato's uncoloured presentation.

They've all been a revelation - the Arcam is so much better on DAB than anything else I've ever tried (and I've tried pretty much all of them), so much so that I'm kicking myself for not buying one a lot sooner. The DAC was much-tweaked by someone who knows what he's doing (not me, then), and is a delight, notwithstanding its 1990s-tier functionality (that'll be just the one S/PDIF input, then!). The Gato is just reliably transparent, powerful, super-convenient and flexible

Enjoying music again for the first time in too long...

I got another cheap Class A amp, this one is a clone of Pass A30, 30wpc or so (again probably not)

it's pretty great. It gets hot, yes, and I am unsure how long it'll last in this weather. But it's the best amp I've heard now I upgraded the RCA interconnect feeding it, lots of body to the sound, sparkling highs, good lows (might be not the best but good enough).

Bought based on the price, knowing the ebay seller already and positive reviews on aliexpress of the same item. There was one guy who has been into high end audio since the 60s praising it as an audiophile amp.

I hope he's right. One left... didn't get any customs demand yet either so that's nice.

I have to admit I'm starting to get satisfied with a few of the amps I have, not just this one, though this is probably best value. This, Primare A30.1, HK A500 valve, they all have strengths.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Naim NAP 250 (Original bolt-down version) . However, I have a NAC202 with Avondale PS and think with this Amp upgrade (from a NAP 110) that I need a better preamp. Any suggestions (NAC 52 is totally out of my price range as these are now selling for as much as $5K here in Canada)?

How about a tube preamp that can work with the NAP 250.

Naim NAP 250 (Original bolt-down version) . However, I have a NAC202 with Avondale PS and think with this Amp upgrade (from a NAP 110) that I need a better preamp. Any suggestions (NAC 52 is totally out of my price range as these are now selling for as much as $5K here in Canada)?

How about a tube preamp that can work with the NAP 250.
NAC 32.5 or even better a 72 with Neil Jadman’s boards hands down ! An bolt down 250 rocks and sings with it.
I'm actually running a 110 with a Classe Audio CP 35 preamp and it sounds similar to a tube amplifier with an outstanding midrange and a sweet treble but the extra punch and groovy sound of the Naim is not as good.

A Sonos Amp to replace the NuForce IA-7 amp I was using in my porch with ATC SCM7’s. Works much better with the TV and for streaming Spotify.

Nice little stack of Quad, FM4, 34-preamp, 306 power amp.

Cleaned up quite well, rather enjoying them do far, FM antenna is a length of twin and earth, still manages to pull a decent signal.

Was going to gut the FM4 and turn it into an audio streamer. Similar to what I've done with the Musical Fidelity X-DAC v3 sat on top.

Nice little stack of Quad, FM4, 34-preamp, 306 power amp.

Cleaned up quite well, rather enjoying them do far, FM antenna is a length of twin and earth, still manages to pull a decent signal.

Was going to gut the FM4 and turn it into an audio streamer. Similar to what I've done with the Musical Fidelity X-DAC v3 sat on top.
That Quad trio..........
I have no need for it and I'm not an unconditional fan of Quad products but in terms of design, style and neatness that survives decades after decades, this is to me the best looking combo ever in the hi-fi jungle !

advertisement

Back