advertisement

What was/is your favourite CD player

Densen B400xs. Knocks streaming , and probably nearly every other CD player ever made ( although I have not heard them all) in to a cocked hat.
Lovely player but mine was flakey. Buttons barely worked despite the ‘foam mod’. Nonetheless, when I sent it for repair and they received a box of hairdryers destined for Amazon instead I was a bit cross. Using a B410 as a transport now.

Naim CDS/CDPS for me. It was the first CD player that I was happy to play alongside a record player and I dread it ever going wrong. You have to throw away the original top-hat puck though. Upstairs, in the office system. I'm using a Cambridge CXC and that's brilliant at the price; I'm using a spare Naim remote with it though, because the original Cambridge one is hopeless. I have to say though, that I still play more records than CDs.

Lovely player but mine was flakey. Buttons barely worked despite the ‘foam mod’. Nonetheless, when I sent it for repair and they received a box of hairdryers destined for Amazon instead I was a bit cross. Using a B410 as a transport now.

“They all do that sir, it’s a design feature “

On my second Oppo.
The 14yr old 971 is rarely used now. It was fixed by Oppo for free after 10years. I bought the 203 just before the announcement of dropping the line.

Only a few for me:

Pioneer PD4300 - not bad but typical of the late 80s.
Meridian 200/203 - now you're talking but the transport failed after 27 years so...
Naim CD5 XS - blows the Meridian away. Added a spare olive HiCap that I had lying around but can't discern any difference in SQ. Is it just me?

Several interesting votes for the Rotel RCD965bx .

.....oh hang on, here's an opportunity for a shameless plug for mine in the classifieds in case anyone wants to hear how little things have moved on sound quality wise.

I get why it was popular but SWMBO has put her foot down for me tose lose some boxes...

A bit cross? I think I’d have posted myself in a box, in order to infiltrate the depot, and then kicked the asses of everyone in there!

Several interesting votes for the Rotel RCD965bx .

.....oh hang on, here's an opportunity for a shameless plug for mine in the classifieds in case anyone wants to hear how little things have moved on sound quality wise.

I get why it was popular but SWMBO has put her foot down for me tose lose some boxes...

Put a modern clock on it and it'll bring it right up to date too i.e. nip at the more expensive stuff. :)

CDM4/19 transports can still be found. Many prefer the non-Limited Edition...

Had loads over the last 35 years being a terrible box-swapper, and the one that sticks in my mind (and I pine for from time to time) was a plain Naim CDX. Not "hi-fi" esoterica nor even close to what I get from the DAC on my Audionet, but just made music enjoyable.

I've only ever owned four CD players:

Arcam Alpha: My first CD player, bought 1992, finally conked out in 2005
Exposure CDP, bought 1998 and still going strong in the upstairs system
Meridian 500 CD transport, bought s/h in 2005 to replace the Arcam Alpha
Meridian G08, bought s/h 2010-ish, used in the downstairs system

I've not much cared for any other CD players I've listened to, though obviously there's loads I've never heard.

A bit cross? I think I’d have posted myself in a box, in order to infiltrate the depot, and then kicked the asses of everyone in there!
I’d have been far more cross if I hadn’t (unusually for me) insured it. It paid for an Oppo 203 and a Chord 2Qute as replacements so I just learned to remember it fondly.

When I asked about having a look in the depot they laughed whilst telling me it was the size of 27 football pitches.

By far my best CD player is the one I have now: Densen B410 feeding the Audial S4 dac. Even the buttons work today.

I have used players from Trio through Sony, Densen, Talk and Meridian 500 and G08 etc but 808 series is absolute class and so musical, I use a Marantz SA 11 for SACD . I see very little point in knocking CD, obviously I spent money on my kit and to enjoy but my true enjoyment is with vinyl.

Naim 3.5 then added an Avondale power supply.

Audionote CDT One and 2.1X Sig Dac.

Then dem'd a Marantz SA7-S1. It blew the AN out the water and I still have it. See no need to change from the MArantz.

Not too many here but something like this:

NAD CD player - it was the mid 80s and I was 18yo and the shiny silver disc was bringing in a new dawn (The Lexicon of Love and Brothers In Arms were the first discs). Had a metal tray and mech from what I remember. Not much to compare it with so it was great (thought Dad’s Denon 1500 had the edge though).

ARCAM Delta 70 - now at Polytechnic and auditioned this against a big Sony (don’t remember the number). I thought the Sony got too much off the disc and the ARCAM sounded more organic. Didn’t eat well for a long time after that purchase. Played via the headphone socket into some Wharfedale Active Diamonds.

May have been a black box at this point as fortunes changed. An impression was not made.

Naim CD5 - a lovely sounding player.

Naim CDX2 - didn’t get on with this at all. Harsh to my ear.

Cambridge Azur 350 - changing times again. Cannot argue at what Cambridge do at their price point.

Sony CDP-337esD - the tank. What a machine! Build quality like you have very seen. Loved this machine but was terrified of laser failure. So it went as a change meant it was too big.

Rega Apollo-R - needed something under 33cm in width and this very analogue sounding player fitted the bill. A good buy.

Sony CDP-502es - something retro to go with the Nait2 in the office. I’m sure it has its flaws (bright?) but it suits the situation fine.

Meridian 506.20 - always wanted a Meridian as they were the first to start ‘playing around’ and improving the first players. It is under 33cm in width and works very well with the 32.5/TeddyCap/110. Love this machine!

So which is best? Difficult. I have very fond memories of the ARCAM due to the time in my life (recently bought one for my daughter who is at University) but I think the Meridian does it for me.

Are we talking favorite player, or players owned - similar to Mike, I’ve had loads, I generally buy faulty and cheap, listen, then sell what isn’t special. My favorites are the 2 CDi‘s, a Woodside WSP something and a Micromega Stage 3 (all modified). Won’t sell these, along with a mint boxed Sony CDP-750 that I’ll modify one day. Apart from that another 5 or 6 waiting for me to sell.

Like some evil, full size Jack-in-the-box!
Brilliant image Linnfo. Post of the month.
Don't take Alex too seriously though.... You know how much stronger skunk has become these last few years.

advertisement

Back