Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What was/is your favourite CD player

Discussion in 'audio' started by snaphappybob, Jul 30, 2020.

1. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

It's been a long time since I heard the 400XS, but I remember being somewhat underwhelmed when I first heard the 440XS. In contrast, the 400XS, straight out of the box, made my (then) Naim CDS2 sound broken. It may be that the 440XS needed more running in when new. It's fine now, but unless I can repair the 400XS and compare directly, I'm just relying on my first and last impressions.

2. boneman

boneman pfm Member

If you ever get the 400 repaired would be interesting to hear the diff now. I use my 440 for CD and DAC duties and am quite pleased with the sound from both! I keep thinking of comparing the DAC to something like a Qutest but haven't got round to it.

3. James

I just need to pull my finger out and find a Sony KSS-213c transport/laser. They seem commonly available enough.

In the meantime, and like yours, my 440XS is serving up music from both CD and Tidal via Bluesound Node 2i.

4. boneman

boneman pfm Member

What was your front end before the 2i? I'm considering one of those to replace the Mac Mini.

5. James

Before the Node 2i, I was a streaming virgin. I was using only physical media (vinyl, compact disc and compact cassette).

6. boneman

boneman pfm Member

OK. How does the Node compare to a CD in the 440?

7. James

Virtually indistinguishable when using the 440's DAC. I haven't compared them directly with the Node's inbuilt DAC and MQA playback.