Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What was/is your favourite CD player

Discussion in 'audio' started by snaphappybob, Jul 30, 2020.

1. darkstarcrashes

darkstarcrashes pfm Member

Just before Covid-19 hit I got 6 CDs of Brendel playing Schubert solo piano pieces for a grand total of £1.20 from a chazza here in Oxford. Unfortunately they've stopped selling CDs as it's not worth their while any more. Hardly surprising at those prices!

Tarzan likes this.
  2. djftw

djftw Heterodox Member

That's what I said, if they're managed well the stock they actually put out for sale is usually of a good standard!

3. TimF

TimF pfm Member

@Hoopsontoast, I always loved the look and build of that Sony player! It is big, but has that very cool styling. I came so close to buying one when they first came out, sadly, I didn’t.

Hoopsontoast likes this.
  4. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Shhhh!:mad::D

Nytechy and Del monaco like this.
  5. BB Wan

BB Wan pfm Member

Errr...here goes:
    Technics SL-PD667 (5disc carousel o_O)
    Tag McLaren CD20r
    Musical Fidelity A3.2CD
    Arcam CD73t
    Arcam DV78 with CA Dacmagic mk1
    Meridian 507
    Meridian 588
    Cyrus CDXt se with DAC X
    Cyrus CDXt se+ with DAC XP+
    Rega Planet 2000
    Meridian 508.24
    Meridian 598DP (transport into Meridian 218)

Think that's the lot, but may have been the odd one I've forgotten about but that probably tells you what I thought of them.
    Hardly ever play CDs any more but love the look of the Meridian 500 series so I keep the 598 around for those nostalgic moments!
    Favourite of the ones I've owned was probably the 508.24 (sometimes think I should've kept it).
    Favourite ever was Meridian 808 which I never got round to buying and would be a waste of money now...so maybe one day :D

stevied and Robert M like this.
  6. G.smith310

G.smith310 pfm Member

Do you think it's worth picking up a budget CD player instead of streaming via spotify ? Something like a Denon 520 ?

There's something very impressive about a nice shelf of CDs

CTank and Del monaco like this.
  7. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

At the moment Spotify is only offered as compressed audio, so if you want to achieve better sound overall, yes. Otherwise hifi level from Tidal, Deezer or Qobuz.

8. G.smith310

G.smith310 pfm Member

£20 = many CDs ! CD player it is ha

Tarzan likes this.
  9. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I listen to all formats. Great to have choice.

w00fer likes this.
  10. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

The local Charadee shops are your friend.:)

Robn likes this.
  11. stormyuklondon1

stormyuklondon1 pfm Member

Marantz CD-7 for me, I’d never heard a player that made me sit up and listen the way that did the first time I heard it.
    Haven’t heard any CD player since that’s made an impression on me as the CD-7 did.
    I’d love to own one now..

hairyderriere and Mike P like this.
  12. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Do you have an extensive collection of CDs already?

13. G.smith310

G.smith310 pfm Member

No. I do have some CDs though.

A lot of the music I like is the type that fetches £300 for a record and £6 for the CD so CD seems a good way to get value and quality.

Whaleblue likes this.
  14. hairyderriere

hairyderriere pfm Member

Lite Audio LT-One, Dac 83. Currently.

I like and used to own a Marantz CD-7. It's quite nice and a beautiful creation. I preferred the AMR CD77 as a player at the time - another statement 1541 player - which better exploits the 1541A chipset to my ears. Actually, for that matter, I prefer the Cambridge Audio CD3 as a musical player, or earlier Marantz Reference players such as the CD94, etc, for similar reasons.

I found that Ken Ishiwata was already tending in the aural direction that the SA-10 has recently achieved. He managed to capture some of that sonic goal in his lovely CD-7 design but for me, ultimately his goal fights against the natural audio disposition of the 1541 DAC. Passed on the SA-7 but am currently saving for the SA-10, which is a whole other paradigm of digital performance to my ears and the first 1 bit player I (a diehard multibit fanatic clinging to my 1541 and 1704 devices) actually want to own.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  15. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

Moon 260.

wow&flutter likes this.
  16. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

CD is such a great format, sounds consistently good & is fuss free.

17. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

My first favourite CD-P was a Musical Fidelity CDT. It featured a pair of triodes in the output stage. It sounded fabulous to my ears, and matched the A-100 amp I had at the time.

My second fav was a Naim CD2 with the CDM-9Pro drive.

My all time fav is the Densen B-400XS. I don't think its successor, the B-440XS, is nearly as good.

18. Ptah

Ptah pfm Member

My favourite (if not the most revealing) was the Naim CDI I had for a couple of years in the early 90s. Sadly the puck kept slipping; and all I'd really compared it to then was Philips or Denon players. The Meridian 500/566 was a lovely player - the Naim CDX or CDX2 didn't better it.

19. boneman

boneman pfm Member

Interesting. What is it about the 400 that you prefer?

20. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It certainly is worth doing. It's nice to have the physical object, they are easy to use and robust, and used ones are dirt cheap.